US Navy building a ship named after Harvey Milk sixty years after he was booted out for being gay

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/us-navy-building-a-ship-named.html

3 Likes

What a bunch of heroes. What’s next? Allowing trans people into the armed forces? Or does that “disturb unit cohesion”?

9 Likes

Sort of sounds like the Navy pushing back.

5 Likes

Reminds me of the UK pardoning Alan Turing for being gay like 70 years after they chemically castrated him to death.

I suppose it’s better than nothing, but it’s not like it’s any great effort on the part of the organization to right any wrongs.

13 Likes

I can see it that way too. I’m not trying to give the Navy credit beyond where it is due either. Just thinking about large ships being hard to turn around, and the current state of American politics. Nice to have a gay man’s name on a ship.

7 Likes

Better late than never!

4 Likes

Of course, with a history of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and the like, Harvey Milk might well be the first openly gay person to get a ship named after them.

5 Likes

The first openly gay person, but not necessarily the first gay person, you mean?

6 Likes

This is a bit more significant, because now anyone who hear about the ship and wonder why it was named like that will encounter the story, being reminded of how things have changed. If you serve on it you don’t have much choice but to know and be ready to explain who Milk was. It may have extra significance when it goes to port in other, more intolerant countries.

4 Likes

And 75 years ago this entered service…

8 Likes

ISWYDT (Ooer, missus!)

How many years until we see the USNS Chelsea Manning?

2 Likes

The USS Jack Parsons soon to be christened.

I hope the hate group one million moms doesn’t hear about this.

5 Likes

If they don’t have a Navy band playing that Village People song at the official launch then someone dropped the ball.

8 Likes

Since the previous Secretary of the Navy picked the names, isn’t it probable that the loofah-faced shitgibbon will force the current SoN to pick a different name? Watch this space.

2 Likes

Since she served in the Army and not the Navy, probably never.

3 Likes

In all fairness the military leaders, service people and veterans pushed back hard on Trump’s bigoted directive.

The Commandant of the Coast Guard had told the president to go fuck himself when it was announced.

Even the Rand Corporation, declared trans soldiers fit to serve

8 Likes

Why? Their tears are so delicious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha
Then the Navy would backtrack and name the ship USS Manly Man.
Backlash would ensue, then the Navy would try to make both sides happy by renaming it to USS Larry Craig or some other closeted, self loathing republican.

1 Like