US to require air travelers to show 'gold star' at airports in order to fly

Funny. My state just gave me a new license this summer. It’s not real ID compliant.

Would be nice if the feds and states would get on the same page.

2 Likes

So as I understand it, the federal government told all the states they must do the REAL ID thing which required money to implement, but provided no money. That in part would be the reason for several states to be slow or protest the requirement. The governments enforcement tool is restricting free travel within the United States for residents of states who fail to comply.

13 Likes

Probably a similar amount that you gain when you obtain a Fake ID.

2 Likes

My passport works just fine for all my domestic flights and as a plus, it does not show my home address.

10 Likes

This really makes me (a 25 year old) wonder what other Bush era timebombs are no doubt set to go off next year.

9 Likes

Less than if you don’t have it, most likely.

30 Likes

Passport cards work as well. My Washington state driver’s license isn’t Real ID compliant so whenever I fly now I bring my passport card just in case I get hassled by The Man at the airport for that.

6 Likes

No, you are free to walk anywhere you like.

3 Likes

I’m not Jewish, and this is creeping me the fuck out.

25 Likes

so, those of us who haven’t had actual bills on paper mailed to us in years (decades? ever, for the younger folks?) need to print out bills with our info? because photoshop doesn’t exist, and such things could never, ever be faked?

11 Likes

Good read for what’s really happening. I’ll gladly use my passport for the time being.

1 Like

Protip: If you’re getting a new or renewed passport, get the “Passport Card” in addition to the main passport book.

It’s an extra $30, but then you have an additional physical ID card that lasts for 10 years or so. Now you have an extra ID in case your state ID goes missing, and it counts for travel in North America.

12 Likes

So if this has been public knowledge for 14 years, why is this news?

3 Likes

I’m not buying it. I think getting rid of the TSA would be a winning platform plank.

7 Likes

why isn’t it news? and if it’s not news, does that matter? should we only talk about things that have been known for… the last 14 minutes? 14 days? or 14 weeks?

what’s the cut off where we aren’t allowed to hear about and discuss things that are going on in the world?

i for one am totally confused about the connection between social security number and safety.

if someone is an imminent danger, arrest them. ( preferably before they get into a crowded security line at an airport. ) if they arent: why do we care who they are, where they come from, or whether they have the money to pay for an id?

3 Likes

Yeah, I was looking at the list of acceptable mail, and sweating a bit, as so much is digital now. But I do vote by mail, and my bank still sends me physical statements, so I think I’ve just barely got what I need there… But it’s pretty silly, especially given that a passport only counts for one of the three groups of documents you need (even though, if you have a passport, everything else is superfluous).

3 Likes

The Washington enhanced licence is Real ID compliant, plus allows cross-border travel to Canadia without a passport.

5 Likes

Well by land and sea only.
If you fly for some dumb reason as it would take less time to drive you need a passport.

4 Likes

Sure, but that’s different from the regular driver’s licence. It’s basically a passport card + DL.

2 Likes