Using machine learning to pull Krazy Kat comics out of giant public domain newspaper archives

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/roll-over-george-herriman.html

9 Likes

Very clever; well done!

4 Likes

This is the sort of thing we should be using our brains and computers for.

11 Likes

Next step: ML generated Krazy Kat strips!

6 Likes

Does it extract the comics into Zip—pow files?

11 Likes

Who’s the physicist who theorized that in the far future we’d achieve immortality by resurrecting every iota of the past?

3 Likes

This guy’s my hero. And I’m with him on Katzenjammer Kids and the various Winsor McKay stuff too. The earlier part of the 20th century was an amazing time in American newspaper comics.

7 Likes

Love the Krazy. We used one of Herriman’s strips as our wedding invitation.

Would have been a pant load easier to find if we’d had one of these cool ass AI thingamahbobbies.

12 Likes

That’s Krazy, yo!

1 Like

Hm. Interesting. See below:

“…he had hundreds of Krazy Kat comics in a folder, including one strip that does not appear in any published book that Franusic was able to find.”

I recall seeing many years ago a magazine (can’t recall which) that presented a very, very convincing one-off, knock-off strip (art-wise) of KK. Apparently, the aim then was to use a KK-style strip as a conveyance for some un-KK message. So, ML puller beware.

7 Likes

I wonder how long ago your wedding was. I’m not too familiar with the characters in the strip and their backstories, and today, seeing it (without other context) brings up thoughts about consent

Sadly, no. This was one of the “Things I wish I could have done”

5 Likes

Love the wedding invitation! Is that from a daily? Personally, I think that the image of Krazy and Ignatz sleeping next to each-other on a long is a better visual summary of the comic than Ignatz creasing Krazy’s head with a brick.

For what it’s worth, I took a similar image from a Sunday comic and turned it into a sticker on Zazzle.

2 Likes

This is one of the best use of machine learning ever.

4 Likes

I totally came here to say that. Let’s go back to the land and watch the computers keep themselves busy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.