USS Voyager fired 123 of its 38 photon torpedoes

Further proof that StackExchange is the best freaking place on teh interwebs

3 Likes

One of the greatest things about Star Trek fans is their ability to rationalize any and everything using Star Trek science. It’s almost a science in its own right and I think it’s wonderful.

I would say that describes an awful lot of TV shows in the U.S., not just the sci-fi ones.

1 Like

If you like the technobabble, you might enjoy this.

http://hyotynen.iki.fi/trekfailure/

1 Like

List of Space:1999 casualties (including destroyed Eagles).

So 13 destroyed in total, and there were 28 to start with, plus Alan Carter’s.

Plus I don’t recall anyone on Space:1999 ever saying that they couldn’t build more; they had big repair bays too.

But if you want to nit-pick about the realism and continuity of Space:1999, I think you might be able to find one or two other issues…

Fast by how much? Only a few warp points above the Enterprise or any other Starfleet ship. And they still have to stop off to get food or resources now and then.

Plus, Kes learned quite rapidly, so her education was done in a short while.

They had a facility to make Eagles, plus the moon is abundant in metallic minerals to ensure the making of more Eagles.

At least Voyager had replicator tech and could get said stuff to replenish replicators from nebulas.

I think this shows one of the big differences between Star Trek and Dr Who.

Back during the 4th Doctor, a writer threw in a line about there being a limit of 12 regenerations. That is exactly the sort of thing that Star Trek tended to conveniently forget or kick into touch long before it became significant. On Dr Who they deliberately brought the plot constraint forward with a gratuitous regeneration and then made it the central issue in a blockbuster episode.

They could have made the torpedo situation a real constraint and the decision to fire them significant. But they didn’t. In fact the shows tended to be rather short on understandable conflicts, they tended to be technobabble followed by some deus ex machina solution.

1 Like

[quote=“FoolishOwl, post:39, topic:21100”]Now that I think of it, the lowest point for Voyager, in my opinion, was an episode in which Tom Paris becomes a detective in a noir murder mystery on a planet they were visiting.[/quote]Paris? I don’t remember that one at all. You must mean Ex Post Facto from Season 1, but Tuvok is doing most of the leg work there.

I have the impression that the nadir is often regarded as that episode that starts with Paris breaking the trans-warp barrier and ending with him and Janeway turning into lizards. Traveling at trans-warp is of course conveniently never mentioned again.

Doctor Who, consistent? What about the Eye of Harmony powering the TARDIS through a connection to Gallifrey, until the 9th Doctor when suddenly the TARDIS needed to be powered by being parked on an energy rift, until the 11th doctor when suddenly the Eye of Harmony was back again?

Star Trek had a bazillion people whose job was to maintain continuity across the series. But thats not what I am talking about. In Voyager they set up a real constraint and then ignored it.

Dr Who went on for a lot longer than Trek and has a lot more episodes. So the continuity is not always accurate. But they don’t set up conflicts and then wimp out.

Awesome sauce, I particularly like:

Alternative Admiral Janeway brought the transphasic torpedoes or the technology to create them with her from her timeline

1 Like

ditto… that was the bit that had me sold :smile:

It’s not that bad a break.
If she had said “…and there is no way to manufacture them, whatsoever.” it would have broken in-universe logic, of course they are manufacturable.

I think the implication, even if they hadn’t acquired new torpedoes, was that they were without resupply.

Yeah… people rail on Voyager for these reasons, but IMO it is second only to NextGen.

TOS is awesome cause it’s just so freaking kitsch and DS9 is good, but too… political?

The makers of Enterprise should be shown the other series and then asked why they’ve taken a steamy, nutty shit on an otherwise enjoyable sci-fi world.

1 Like

I just want to know that SOMEONE was counting these while the show was on the air and screamed at the TV every time #39 and higher were fired, “You don’t have any more!!!”

The politics are what make DS9 so interesting. Then again, the really hardcore were lusting over Babylon 3, or something.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.