Physicists make tiny model of Star Trek's USS Voyager that's smaller than a human hair

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/physicists-make-tiny-model-of-star-treks-uss-voyager-thats-smaller-than-a-human-hair.html

4 Likes

Interesting that they would choose Voyager. A clear generational shift in scientists.

19 Likes

Huh, Q never thought of that in “Death Wish.” Let’s hope physicists are also making progress developing biofilters, shields, and a tiny model with working phasers. :vulcan_salute:t4:

9 Likes

I was going to say “I assume they went with this ship because it’s the only one in the franchise that was once shrunk to microscopic size.”

And of course also briefly disguised as a Christmas Tree ornament.

ornament

11 Likes

They did it in DS9 as well. And probably other episodes that I can’t remember.

12 Likes

13 posts were split to a new topic: The Space-Trolley Problem

It immediately shot forward with such great force that it just… disappeared.

2 Likes

Or maybe this was just easier to print because it’s, topologically speaking, closer to cylindrical than, say, Enterprise D.

3 Likes

Considering they also printed a tiny tugboat (and no, unfortunately I don’t mean Tugboat the dog) this probably wasn’t an issue.

10 Likes

Good point–I hadn’t seen the others. That tugboat is seriously impressive, though I guess it’s about twice the size of the Voyager.

6 Likes

Now in my headcanon, 24th century tugboats are twice the size of starships.

6 Likes

Missed that one!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Space-Trolley Problem

A sub-microscopic ship will necessarily be crewed by nano-scopic humans engaging in infinitesimal sex but what would physicists know about that? It’s biology.

1 Like

Is that Boaty μcBoatface?

7 Likes

This has got me thinking about other items they might try to print at the same scale. How bout Deep Space 9? Or Earth, for that matter? Going yo other franchises, I’m guessing the same scale of Death Star might be doable…

2 Likes

Or

2 Likes

What a FANTASTIC VOYAGEr!

2 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like