Just how enormous is the Star Trek Enterprise-D?

Originally published at: Just how enormous is the Star Trek Enterprise-D? | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Picard drives a monster truck was not on my bingo card.

25 Likes

Patrick Stewart Dancing GIF

24 Likes

They need all the extra space to house diplomats and refugees and rescued crew from other ships. Unless they are Irish. Then they gotta live in a cargo bay.

31 Likes

All the kids make it seem smaller.

10 Likes

I’m thinking about that since there’s also civilians. The 1000 number if I remember correctly is for crew members and officers.

Also, there’s possibly the need for there to be room to ferry around other UFP staff to other destinations.

11 Likes

title sequence credits GIF

12 Likes

In Yesterday’s Enterprise, the alternate timeline Enterprise-D had 4000 crew and troops.

13 Likes

12 Likes

A McMansion for every ensign and a Raktajino in every travel mug!

12 Likes

That’s astonishingly low for how big the ship apparently is.

A modern day analog might be found in battleship Yamato, which held 3200 crew and troops. It’s a mere 862 ft long and 127 feet wide at the beam. Square footage is very difficult to calculate for warships, but given how big the Enterprise is, the Yamato would probably fit in Ten Forward.

The militarized Enterprise should probably have more like 200,000 troops on it.

8 Likes

For what it’s worth :man_shrugging:, a size comparison with Imperial ships:

main-qimg-cb006638139c61f7e010007707ebd75b-lq

11 Likes
10 Likes

So… they’ve got space for me? That’s what I’m hearing.

8 Likes

the video mentions that the show says there’s room for 6000. i think he estimated 3000 or something total people, but says the actual number is never mentioned.

he also points out that the designated civilian areas of the ship are just a few floors, compared to the massive space for crew.

edit: it always seemed strange to me they were so often going into combat with all of those people on board. i wonder what kind of insurance they have :cat2:

10 Likes

Plus the cetacean lab!

12 Likes

A drawing that awesome requires no justification for posting.

5 Likes

Luke Skywalker GIF by Star Wars

Do you?

8 Likes

driving

10 Likes

whales

9 Likes