USS Voyager fired 123 of its 38 photon torpedoes

If the black hole wasn’t spinning too fast, they could have meant the accretion disc.

You can’t win the No-Prize if you don’t heal the error!

1 Like

I do believe you’re IN DENIAL.

This proves to any reasonable person that Voyager was a FRAUD perpetrated on the backs of the Federation and all that it stands for.
Janeway needs to be imprisoned for what she has done.

7 Likes

Agreed. I also loved that they had this special technology that no-one else had; transporters! Except that in every goddamn episode the transporters don’t work.

You know, one thing I’ve really noticed is that the contemporary method of watching television (Netflix, iTunes, DVDs) puts some interesting pressures on a show that scheduled programming doesn’t. If everyone is, at best, seeing a show once a week, then the fact that you’re consistently recycling the same twelve plot-points isn’t as glaringly obvious as it is if you’re watching two episodes a night in succession.

Or two entire seasons on a rainy, boozy Sunday…

4 Likes

I guess it’s time somebody counted all the destroyed eagles on Space 1999.

2 Likes

What the video doesn’t show, is that the earlier part of the episode made many references to being low on resources. This is the same episode Janeway said, “There’s coffee in that nebula.”

“In their current situation, they could not replace torpedoes” is how that should have been interpreted.

Actually, this goes to the heart of what makes SF, SF.

SF, particularly the hard stuff tries to imagine plots, themes, events, (and sometimes, even characters) that are consistent with the ground rules of the universe, technologically aged.

Twin Paradoxes? Generation Ships? Interstellar Economies? Those are meat for a SF story, as opposed to a simple space western.

Now, voyager can’t resupply as ably as Picard’s ships. A writer of hard SF would pay attention to that fact, and make sure that the crew and ship were majorly inconvenienced by it, until they came up with a solution-- preferably a solution that would also change the course of the narrative in interesting ways.
Unfortunately, very few people, aside from hardcore SF fans, are truly enchanted by logistics,

Often times, a correct interpretation actually does make sense.

Wiki: “Gravitational energy is potential energy associated with the gravitational field.”

So there actually IS an energy field associated with an event horizon.

One of my favorite things about the Battlestar Galactica reboot was that they kept a running count on how many human beings were still alive so the stakes would feel more important (though the arrival of the Pegasus kind of threw that off).

1 Like

Sorry, criticism for Voyager will not be accepted until and unless you express equal and proportionate condemnation of Enterprise.

1 Like

No, it still doesn’t work. You might be able to (awkwardly) describe a gravity well as an “energy field,” but the event horizon isn’t the field, it’s a notable boundary within the field. It’s like calling a mile marker a highway.

Incidentally, event horizons (if they even exist) don’t themselves destroy anything. Once you pass the horizon, no amount of force can prevent you from falling further inwards until you’re either roasted by trapped photons or torn apart by tidal forces, but for a sufficiently large black hole you might have a while to make your peace first.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I have no comment about what Section 31 may or may not be doing concerning the whole Voyager series of events.

2 Likes

Star Trek is not really a si fi show you know, at its heart its a space opera with sci fi elements, which is funny for a show set in space that the technology is not the main focus of the show like for example an android movie which focus on the android, in star trek its how people react and interact in a sci fi setting set it in space that is the focus you could remove the sci fi tech rewrite a few lines and the stories would work as well as they did.

The good news is that they not everything about the show is technobable, people feel that the show it gets it wrong because they misunderstand how the tech works like for example replicators, people believe mainly because its said on the show by characters who do not understand the technology that replicators make matter out of nothing or out of energy. This is wrong let me explain how replicators are meant to work on the show you will understand quite bit after.

Replicators are simply transporters with a bit of extra tech built in. You see a transporter gets a piece of matter a person or a box its scans them then records there pattern it then turns all matter in there body or box into manipulable energy, it then sends this energy to another site and using that pattern it made before and turns the energy back into matter in the same pattern it recorded, this is how a transporter works, but what has this to do with a replicator?

Well a replicator is simply a transporter whos end pattern when it turns matter back into energy is programmable, it does not matter what the state of matter was before it was turned into energy with a replicator all that matters is what pattern is used at the end. But where does it get this matter in this first place? Does it make it out of energy maybe from the warp core? Nope, The amount of energy needed to make a single grain of sand is more than something like a warp core could ever produce what it does instead is this, you remember those cargo holds which are full of boxs and crates and odd shaped containers scattered around the ship where we see crew members usually doing inventory scans? Well other than spare parts they also contain matter as in the elements, iron, oxygen, gold, lead basically everything that they might want to make stuff out of.

So you ask a replicator to make you something lets say a glass of water, the replicator takes some silicone for the glass, some oxygen and hydrogen for the water, it turns them all into energy then when it turns them back into matter it chances the output pattern into the item you want, so instead of you getting a pile of sand and a brief breeze of oxygen and hydrogen you get a glass with water in it.

So whats to stop them from just replicating as much as they want? Why did they start issuing replicator rations and growing there own food? Its simple, transporting or replicating anything takes energy, a lot of it, they could not just keep using there warp core as the more energy they suck from it the less they have to get home so they had to ration the energy use of the replicators. Also it does not matter to the replicator if you turn cargo hold matter into food or leftovers back into cargo hold matter it still uses energy and as such they had to recycle or just dump a lot of stuff they replicated where usually they would just replicate it back into the cargo holds this is why they kept running out of matter to make stuff with and they had to trade for a lot of stuff or go mining as in nebula’s.

If you understand the imitations there tech was meant have a lot of what happened in voyager makes sense. Other than the fantasy crap with chakotay.

If they ever make a new star trek series this should hopfully help understand how some of the tech works, unless they just recon everything to work by using magic. grumble transporting on to a ship at warp already millions of miles away when the max range of a transporter is 40000 kilomotors grumble

lol

1 Like

Can’t we all just get along and accept mediocrity of all sorts?

How does the bridge crew know they even fired a torpedo? All they ever saw was a light show on a screen and engineering / weapons saying they fired them. Could be the crew was pranking the captain. Faking the shot, overlaying some graphics on the screen, saving the real torpedoes for when some real shit goes down.

3 Likes

One of the SF writers workshops compared certain bad “science fiction” stories to Westerns that happened to be set in space because space was the scenery the author had chosen. I can’t quite recall what name this trope was given. All I’m getting is a lot of references to “Wild Wild West” and Firefly.

A lot of Star Trek is this, in part because “Star Trek” was sold as “Wagon Train to the Stars”.

If the previous poster was correct, and this was Neelix’s explanation to Kes, it really makes perfect sense.

You see, Neelix is an idiot, and not really a scientist, but he likes to sound smart and sophisticated. So he ‘explained’ it to his naive girlfriend as best as he could.

4 Likes

I think that he might have overdone it. They didn’t have enough resources to do anything interesting and so… they didn’t do anything interesting.

I remember watching that show when I was six, and that bothered me then.

Now that I think of it, the lowest point for Voyager, in my opinion, was an episode in which Tom Paris becomes a detective in a noir murder mystery on a planet they were visiting. As usual, everyone on the planet was white and spoke English with a southern California accent. But, it was worse than that. There was nothing even slightly alien about the world they were visiting, not a single indication that the culture had any unfamiliar qualities. Aside from Paris beaming up to the Enterprise to get help from the medical lab – which simply replaces the detective driving to the morgue – there were no science fiction elements in the story at all. In fact, Paris unravels the mystery by observing the behavior of the dog owned by the culprit. And it was a dog. Not something analogous to a dog, or that looked a bit like a dog, or even something that was painfully obvious was a dog with its fur died a different color. It was just a dog, and Paris catches on because he’s familiar with the behavior of dogs.

It wasn’t particularly good as an homage to noir detective stories. But what struck me was the utter lack of imagination. It’s like Star Trek is written by people who can’t imagine anything but life in a gated suburb near Los Angeles.

Lately, I’ve read several anthologies of science fiction short stories, the “Year’s Best” collections edited by Gardner Dozois. And the gulf between the sophistication, creativity, and diversity of contemporary science fiction novels and short fiction on the one hand, and the unimaginative, brain-dead crap we get in television and movies, is enormous.

1 Like

I know that’s just scientific ignorance on the part of the writers, but it’s not hard to make up fanwanks to get past this kind of thing. Escaping a black hole’s event horizon would no longer be impossible if faster-than-light travel were possible, but part of Star Trek lore is that warp travel involves moving through “subspace”, so you could imagine there’s some kind of energy barrier at the event horizon in subspace that isn’t seen in the normal space that we primitive 21st century types are familiar with.