Utah cop shot handcuffed man in police station, his third killing: "You're about to die, friend!"

Exceedingly…

19 Likes

I don’t see any reason for cops to have guns in an interview room when dealing with an unarmed person. If that had been the case, this impaired person in handcuffs (i.e., unable to effectively shoot anyone) wouldn’t have had the opportunity to put his hand on the officer’s weapon.

11 Likes

Someone with the capacity for empathy doesn’t do that in the first place. I bet this guy sleeps like a log at night.

9 Likes

I agree, but I think it may go further than that. One thing is not having empathy, but this is just plain evil.

5 Likes

Three people? So the cop is a straight-up serial killer? I’ve always suspected there are a lot of undetected serial killers in the ranks of the police, but apparently they don’t actually need to hide their activities to avoid punishment and stay in the job…

Well, there’s one right here in this story - murder three people at different times? That’s technically a serial killer. There are a few historic serial killers who turned out to be cops, but there’s a lot of evidence of un-caught serial killers in police departments, too. Some are suspected or even known, but not arrested. Others are hinted at by the number of people whose deaths are ignored by the cops. I think we can safely say there are quite a few of them, so it must be quite easy. The only trick is they have to avoid having a criminal record before becoming a cop.

And in fact the barrel has been designed to retain bad apples at the expense of all others.

17 Likes

Remember that scene in Terminator, where Arnie storms the police station? They need to be ready for that, which means being armed at all times.

1 Like

finger gun GIF

13 Likes

They know full well they’re almost always immune to consequences, no matter what. Now they’re beginning to drop even the pretext of killing for any other reason than “I wanted to murder a person”. And STILL getting away with it.

9 Likes

Why the fickity-fack-fook do people still call cops when someone is in psychological crisis? “Defund the cops” means in part, fund resources to call instead and get a kid like this into treatment and not into a system where bullies just want to humiliate him for awhile and then put him in jail for as long as possible.

DON’T CALL THE COPS WHEN SOMEONE IS TROUBLED!!

5 Likes

In many cases they do. They get a military style training in which every suspect is a potential killer pulling out a gun at the first opportunity, and they are taught to shoot first. Some of them may be born killers, but most are trained to be.

7 Likes

Technically, Dexter wasn’t a cop, but a crime scene analyst; still:

12 Likes

The girlfriend called the police because he was suicidal. She tells them: he took pills. So, instead they breathalyze him? For all they know, he’s going to OD any second. Then the only thing they do is fixate on him having gotten there by using a car? [Also: pretty sure any good attorney can get you out of a DUI if you are intoxicated and on foot.]

In interrogation, he only gave the false name because he was intoxicated and being arrested (instead of taken to the hospital where he should have been).

All these “crimes” are committed as a result of the police being called. Could the girlfriend have specified they needed an ambulance not police?

7 Likes

No, the people calling 911 do not decide what resources get sent. 911 dispatchers try to quickly cull information and send appropriate resources, but that also includes whomever is closest, to cut down on waiting times. This can save lives - a policecar usually has an AED, or narcan, or a tourniquet which can save a life in seconds, while an ambulance might be a few more minutes away.

That in no way excuses what happened here, just trying to answer the question about ambulance vs police in the current system.

7 Likes

I didn’t even have to see the uniform to know this was West Valley City. I have a friend whose sons were on WVCPD’s shit list for years, and once you were on it, you didn’t get off.

4 Likes

Believe me, my tongue was firmly in my cheek with my comment.

4 Likes

None of it happens unless the cop knows that his Review Board will back him up unconditionally.

It’s not like cops shoot people, then hope for the best outcome; they already know they have immunity.

2 Likes

power rangers oops GIF by Hyper RPG

5 Likes

Oh, I know, but it is actually a real problem.

4 Likes

THIS. F***Utah police and the authority-asslickers that support them.

4 Likes

Oh don’t say that. They’ll mountain meadows massacre your ass.

3 Likes