Utah girls, 9 and 4, take and crash parents car on their way to California to swim in the ocean

Reminds me of my 11 year old cousin (once removed) who, in B’klyn, “borrowed” my Mom’s car (she was visiting) and drove it to Hoboken NJ to visit an older cousin. The family was more surprised by my Mom’s tolerant response than by the incident. Normally, she crashes down like a ton of red-hot bricks on anyone who crosses her — family or not. (Conversely, she’s over-the-top in gift-giving and when rewarding good behavior.)

4 Likes

The story in my family is that the horses knew how to get back to the barn, so if you’d had a bit too much to drink, you could start the horses and still trust that you’d wake up in the barn.

8 Likes

Did have to turn the crank in those days?

6 Likes

Fun fact #2: The gull was chosen because back in 1848, a massive flock of them showed up to help blunt a cricket invasion that Utah was suffering from. (Tho of course the birds’ effect came to be mythologized and overstated…)

10 Likes

Man, I cannot fathom how much trouble I’d have been in if I had ever done something like this as a little kid.

My mom would have gone freakin’ nuclear

11 Likes

Same here. At 9, we were learning how to cook and clean. The lessons on not messing with things that didn’t belong to us came way before that! By then we knew it was Mom and Dad’s house, and we were just living in it :wink:…no way in hell we’d think of driving a car.

9 Likes

Growing up in Eastern Washington (an area with a significant LDS population) I remember hearing seagulls being referred to as ‘Mormon eagles’.

3 Likes

I guess that sounds better than “rats with wings.”

3 Likes

My grandmother often told me about a great uncle who would do essentially this in that he would take his horse and wagon to the county fair and could fall asleep on the way back and still reliably get home.

4 Likes

I literally grew up in the saddle. I can’t tell you how many photos there are of me just a few years old, asleep, pony walking me on his back down the trail home, after a long trail ride with my father and our clients (city folk who wanted a trail ride).

The pony’s name was Ringo and I mention this to honor the little guy. He was a great pony.

9 Likes

Utah kids just want to go to California.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, I have to practically badger my 18 year old to practice driving… :roll_eyes: :sob:

10 Likes

It was either a swipe, but it could have been a long-click, or maybe you dialed starting from the “0” spot all the way past the finger-stop. Having never owned one, these are just guesses.

3 Likes

Girls just wanna have fun.
That’s all they really want.

1 Like

I really hope he was named that due to Johnny Ringo and not some other Ringo we might think of.

There weren’t any motorbikes in 1910 that could have carried a fully grown horse, let alone two.

1 Like

I’m impressed they made it out of the driveway. The second time I drove a car it ended up on it’s side.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.