Utah girls, 9 and 4, take and crash parents car on their way to California to swim in the ocean

Originally published at: Utah girls, 9 and 4, take and crash parents car on their way to California to swim in the ocean | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Fun fact: the state bird of Utah is the California Seagull. Really.

Maybe the coastal visitors gave the girls an overly optimistic impression of how close they were to their destination.

14 Likes

No shootout with the police? Maybe a bit too young.

4 Likes

“Morning, sis”

“Morning!”

“Hey, I have an idea…”

7 Likes

Boss Level: Achieved

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure this was the 4 year-old’s fault. Just ask the 9 year-old.

21 Likes

Kid Winning GIF

24 Likes

The Abernathy boys, aged 9 and 5 rode from Oklahoma to New Mexico and back in 1909. Futility Closet did a podcast about them.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/podcast-episode-46959392

Also, kids: they asked their parents - they didn’t just take the keys to the horse.

13 Likes

They had more ambition than wisdom, which is not surprising at that age (or any other, to be honest!). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m staggered that a 9-year-old could both reach the pedals and see over the dashboard/steering wheel at the same time. Maybe that’s what caused the crash. Or maybe the older one was on the pedals and wheel and the younger one was giving navigation instructions. A bit like this…

5 Likes

Horses were the original self-driving transportation. Give them a general sense of which way to go and they take care of the details! As long as they concur with the direction I suppose.

9 Likes

Often they were more sensible than the human passengers.

8 Likes

They also went to NY on a motorbike the following year.

1 Like

So, does car insurance normally cover this kind of thing?

Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

Another reason why I don’t like automatic transmissions

3 Likes

Spend my days with a woman unkind
Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine
Made up my mind, make a new start
Goin’ to California with an achin’ in my heart

3 Likes

Protip: go to the gulf of Mexico instead, the Pacific Ocean off California is too friggin’ cold.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re gonna be punished.

But there is no way these girls will ever forget that memory and they will have a story to tell for the rest of their lives.

I’m gonna go for a “W” for the kiddos.

8 Likes

Part of me wonders if any of the self-driving car folks are secretly testing, like, cyborg horse- or dog- mobiles.

See also:

8 Likes