✌ Victory! ✌

One saying is: “There’s never time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it over.”

In building, I think it’s usually more to do with spending extra money up front to have a capability you think maybe you won’t ever need, even though it usually turns out you do.

5 Likes

I installed the new electric dryer!

And I did a damn sight better job of it than the rassin’-frassin’ idiots from Sears delivery were going to do too.
Straight 4" vent duct not that foil bendy stuff, and I installed a strain relief on the power cord as recommended.

I want to replace the 240V outlet while I’m at it - because I fear no two-phase! - but that will have to wait until the weekend. Not going to try to that while it’s dark and I’m tired.

15 Likes

It’s a long and convoluted story… But the family that lives in my shed (it’s a nice shed!!) Just had their second daughter! I can’t wait to meet the new babbe, and the mother and father (while tired) are doing amazing.

12 Likes

Two years ago our son had to have 16 teeth taken out as they had crumbled away, and since then different dentists have been divided on whether he would need dentures or not until his adult teeth came through. It turns out that his new teeth are coming out pretty well and his missing teeth aren’t affecting his speech or eating too much, so they’re not going to recommend it! This is really good news, as he wouldn’t have been able to use the dentures for eating anyway. They would also have been uncomfortable to wear and would have required regular adjustments as his adult teeth came out. Since the other teeth were extracted, he’s been a lot happier brushing his teeth and hasn’t had any new cavities in his milk teeth. I guess he can keep his ogre face for a bit longer!

18 Likes
  • I took a long bath
  • I paid rent
  • I finally got my refill of neurotonin and prozac
  • I cleaned the house, along with my room
  • I had a hair cut
  • I did laundry
  • I made a family style stew as gratitude to my roomies * icleaned up the kitchen afterward
  • I purchased tp
  • I managed to get past my withdrawl symptoms
  • I fed the cats
  • I ate for the first time in three days
  • I took out garbage and recycling
  • I cleaned the toilets

Fucking. Victory.

• psychiatrist visit on the 16th

• need to schedule a GP visit here soon so I can get BP pills refilled

• kicked ass at work, saved them about a quarter million in labor

• peeps at work don’t really like me, but they don’t dislike me. I’ll take that.

• I managed to sleep for 14 hours uninterrupted, without waking up in a cold sweat agonizing about some piece of minutae

• the DTs are almost gone, and I’m finally over that damn cold (I swear it was Whooping Cough Jr.)

• I’ve stopped projectile vomming in the morning over stress related nonsense (omg, I have to find a restaurant to meet a friend at…BBLLAAAARRGGGHHAAAAA!!! :smiley: )

I’d say victories on many fronts.

23 Likes

New shelf and grown up boxes to put shit in so I don’t hide sriacha in my underwear drawer!

Organized closet so dirty othes don’t cover my shoes and it doesn’t take me forty minutes to get dressed!!

It ain’t glamourous but living in less than 70 sq feet without being a slob is challenging.

Eta–one downside is my underoos won’t smell like sriracha any. I may have to rethink this plan.

Eta 2

One of the serious reasons is I had medications everywhere. And I did t feel good about that.

I only take about four daily, and the rest are for emergencies. Some more fun than others :smiley:

Eta 3

I just realized this was happening. Calling @nemomen!

18 Likes

Never mind that, call a cellist, stat!

6 Likes

Every day is Shark Week in our hearts if you truly believe.

10 Likes

Not sure if this is Victory or Fuck Today. The steroids I’ve been on appear to have given me some vague sense of smell back. First thing I notice the smell of…Brussels sprouts.

19 Likes

Yesterday was a good day for them to introduce the new BBS badges. Pretty nice to come home late at night and learn that I’m apparently “Appreciated” and “Respected” and “Gives Back”.

14 Likes

I’ve been invited to join not one, but two different honor societies at my university. All that time I’ve spent posting replies here paying attention in class and studying really paid off!

15 Likes

Also, driving my new Nissan Leaf is making me surprisingly happy for a whole variety of reasons.

Without turning this into a huge essay: it’s peppier than I was expecting, it learns your driving style and likes my driving touch and so has been steadily raising its estimated range on a full battery, it talks to my phone over Bluetooth, it happily plays my music from my phone or iPod via Bluetooth or USB plug-in, it’s new and shiny and not old and battered, and I’ve got it trickle-charging off our solar install now (while we try to get the solar company to fix some issues with the car charger installation) so driving it now uses zero fossil fuels. I just feel this car likes me.

16 Likes

Much like @Clifton, I’m basking in the glow of something new: Galaxy S7, and it’s more than just hype. I’m not normally a big phone junkie, but I’m feeling really good about this one in a way I haven’t for my last couple of phones. I also discovered, completely by chance, that buying it made me eligible for a free VR headset worth $99 (so I guess being an early adopter has its privileges?)

What else is going right? Completed an assignment that was a monkey on my back.

Cleaned up a little.

Made some progress on a couple of collaborations.

Have been eating well today. (I’ve been eating really crappy lately)

Girlfriend comes back from visiting her mom tomorrow.

Discovered a new Glitch Mob song I really like.

Got some new clothes I really like.

Today was pretty goddamn awesome.

12 Likes

¿Cómo se llama?

1 Like

It’s actually an old song I’d never heard until now, weirdly.

2 Likes

¡Gracias!

1 Like

Victory, @the_borderer?

Good fucking riddance, at least.

7 Likes

We’ll see.

He will be replaced with another Tory after all, and there are far worse MPs than IDS. Real sociopaths, rather than IDS’s ignorant and destructive tough love.

It will probably give me some breathing space though, I doubt there will be further changes to disability benefit rules until after I have got my renewal forms in.

Even the right wing press are angry about how disabled people are being treated, the only newspaper that I saw late on Thursday that seemed happy with the budget were the Daily Mail, and maybe the Express (they were mostly angry for other unpleasant reasons).

Tell me when George Osborne has been replaced with someone on the Tory left, then I will think about celebrating. If he gets replaced by John McDonnell I will have a party.

4 Likes

Back in January I wrote

Well, following that, and a couple other incidents where I was on the brink of quitting, I decided to give it one good honest try at resolving it productively, and took it to the other principals of the company. I figured the worst that could happen is I could get fired instead of getting so frustrated I quit.

I started with the one I’ve worked with the most, and spent a while talking with him. He took my issues really seriously and scheduled a meeting the next day with all three of the other principals - excluding my direct boss. I tried to keep it as productive as possible, focusing on concrete problems I could identify that had been caused by lack of adequate testing, and on the state of the documentation. It turns out some of them knew about some of the pieces, but none of them had clearly understood what a bad shape those areas were in.

Basically, they’re not making any formal changes in the structure but they’re quietly sidelining my boss on these areas so I can work around him and accomplish what the company needs.

This week an ad went up on Craigslist for a tech writer on contract, we’ve got a couple decent responses already, and I’ll be starting to interview applicants next week. I have a plan for whoever we hire to do a full overhaul of the product manual to bring it up to date, and reorganize it so the reference bits can be integrated and pulled up as immediate in-context help from the application, while also adding a big “How do I …” section.

14 Likes

It looks like my concerns may be well founded. Ladbrokes have Priti Patel (right wing of conservatives, works for tobacco companies) as 2/1 favourite to take over.

Fuck, please no!

Other possibilities from the article are

5/1 Stephen Crabb (involved in a welsh food bank, opposed government investigations into food bank usage)

6/1 Anna Soubry (has worked towards the privatisation of the NHS)

6/1 Chris Grayling (is shit in various ways, but nothing obvious in the wiki article regarding health policy or funding)

8/1 Owen Paterson (loved by Breitbart)

10/1 Robert Halfon (has cerebal palsy but has previously worked with George Osborne. Has supported homeopathy in parliament.)

16/1 Andrea Leadsom (Has also worked for George Osborne in the treasury)

16/1 Boris Johnson (May be one of the better choices going by comments made as Mayor of London. This is fucking depressing)

20/1 Ed Vaizey (Credited in The Force Awakens along with George Osborne for helping with tax breaks, once claimed 8 pence as travel expenses)

20/1 Nick Boles (Wants to cut welfare even further)

20/1 Claire Perry (like Chris Grayling, she is shit in various ways, but nothing obvious in the wiki article regarding health policy or funding)

50/1 Jacob Rees-Mogg (because the Tories don’t have enough cabinet ministers from Eton. Investor in tobacco companies.)

100/1 Philip Davies (thinks that disabled people should be paid below the minmum wage, filibustered an attempt to make carers exempt from parking charges. Is the most rebellious Tory so doesn’t stand a chance.)

3 Likes