Vader star David Prowse dead at 85

I wonder who dubbed the voice for the Green Cross Code Man; it doesn’t sound like David Prowse’ West Country Burr to me.

I was a Tufty Club Member; because nothing says, “Road Safety” like a squirrel.

11 Likes

This is the post I was hoping to see on this thread.:+1:

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Kylo throwing tantrums; especially because of the reactions of his underlings.

I think that Adam Driver is great in these scenes; and that, as ever in Star Wars, the real star is the sound design. :star_struck:

3 Likes

You’re right. Some of his other appearances seem to have what I assume to be his original accent.

5 Likes

I guess I don’t hate the tantrums. But it does show a contrast between the two characters and actors.

3 Likes

Don’t be like Tufty! I guess at least it wasn’t a hedgehog.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Probably for the best they didn’t go with Orson Welles for the voiceover considering how hard it was to get a coherent performance out of him by the time the original Star Wars trilogy was produced.

5 Likes

Welles was solid in Transformers.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a good thing he couldn’t imbibe the action figures.

3 Likes

Darth Farmer

1 Like

Welles was dying. His audio was so full of labored breathing that they had to put it through a voice synthesizer to clean it up, but yeah, he was probably sober.

3 Likes

I saw a picture today of the aged David Prowse as part of the notice of his passing. But I imagine that he thought of himself as a much younger man, unfortunately suffering from the disability known as old age. So here’s a link from when he was acting using his own face and voice: https://vimeo.com/423594257/#t=386s
and, from the same video, a little fan service from the youthful David Prowse, 1978: https://vimeo.com/423594257/#t=1117s1
"What is love? 'tis not hereafter;
Present mirth hath present laughter;
What’s to come is still unsure:
In delay there lies no plenty;
Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty,
Youth’s a stuff will not endure."
– Shakespeare, “Twelfth Night” Act II, sc. 3

3 Likes

I liked him in “Shattered Glass”—playing a shifty manipulative weed.

1 Like

Just noticed that the new Vader (Rogue One, at least) is another Prowse lookalike, if in a rather different direction than Hayden.

vovvlw84c2pdc8

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.