Valve-opening robot fail

They should start on something smaller, like deflating footballs for the Patriots.

5 Likes

And the members of IVTLS (International Valve Turners and Lever Shifters) Local 1927 breathed a sigh of relief.

15 Likes

And yet I still feel bad for the poor thing

7 Likes

The viral marketing campaigns for Half-Life 3 are only going to get more abstract.

10 Likes

They needed a robot with better moves.

12 Likes

Me too; I’ve had those days.

tries to do something simple
fails
“OH FORGET IT”
falls over

19 Likes

I do not think valve-opening means what it thinks it means.

2 Likes

You just had to go there…

2 Likes

Looks like that corner case could be solved with a combination of artificial vision and pressure sensors in the hands.

3 Likes

Measuring the current through your servos is a good way to know if you are touching something, but at our state of the art, every corner case is going to require code to address it. There are no general solutions.

2 Likes

It appears that my valve-operating job is safe… for now.

6 Likes

I have fallen over, father.

1 Like

Oh I hope this robot takes my job!

I can get more hourly with a title like “robot technician”*

*worker that rights fallen robot repeatedly and eventually opens valve for robot

6 Likes

Sorry, that’ll now be a contract position in this now Right-to-Work shop. We’ll be sure to look at your application once we finish with all these H1B applicants.

3 Likes

I keep imagining a ‘conversation’ with a driverless car that begins “Would you mind pulling forward a couple of feet so I can get into my driveway?,” escalating into foaming at the mouth frustration.

2 Likes

He’s no fun.
He fell right over … .

(hat tip to Firesign Theater.)

4 Likes

Wrong link?

1 Like

10 Likes

Why not just make the valve itself motorized? This approach reminds me of that silly bit in GITS with the robot-hands-speed-typing.

Just plug a cable into the thing and transfer data directly!

7 Likes

This is research towards a humanoid robot that can do general human tasks. You’ve got to start simple.

2 Likes