#Vanlife: Camping California's coast -- Gaviota State Beach

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/vanlife-camping-california-3.html

2 Likes

Gaviota features a lot of bunnies, all of whom appear to have massive ticks in their ears

Playboy Bunnies?

4 Likes

It’s California right? Where the hell is the Sun?

2 Likes

I stayed at Gaviota in my RV, so facilities were not an issue. Your article doesn’t even touch on the best part of visiting the park, which is the hike up to the wind caves. I urge you to give it another shot, just to enjoy that feature.

1 Like

Jalama is amazing, you should have stayed there. Sounds like you’re heading south though. Another great side trek is the loop of Hwy’s 166 & 33. If you go down to Ojai, then up 33 to 166, you’ll be back up at Santa Maria and can be at Jalama by evening!

After reading these parts of the description:

and

I’d be leaving. That is not a vacation to me, it’s the very definition of stress.

4 Likes

This has been the coldest / foggiest Summer in San Diego in my memory. And then BAM! 90 degrees & 95% humidity and light rain…

3 Likes

I’ll trade 'ya blazing Sun and “feels like” 120 degrees for days on end.

Interested?

3 Likes

No Tanks!

2 Likes

This right here. I started booking only into walk-in unserviced sites to get away from the RV party hard crowds. I go camping to get away from loud obnoxious people, but it seems a good 50% of the sites in the serviced parts of our local provincial parks are people there to party.

1 Like

Did you check out the “secret” beach at gaviota? Veer right after the booth, head up hill and to the right. Continue until just before the gate, like .5 mile. There’s a big arrow pointing down. Find the trail, cross the tracks, you’ll get to a lovely secluded beach. The wind caves are also cool. And there’s a warm spring up in the hills.

El Capitan SB is way better. Trees, larger camp ground, tide pools, a trail that takes you to Refugio (which you should also avoid if you don’t like the distributed party atmosphere).