Vaped crusader

No, but you can smell one of the 101 flavors vapers use. What isn’t harmful can still be annoying and inconsiderate, such as eating certain foods in the office.

ETA:

I don’t see how that is possible unless your nose is broken or everyone you see happens to use a non-flavored vape.

Yeah I finally went to a doctor to try to get some new drugs for my pain. My idea is to try muscle relaxers at night. I got this sense he didn’t believe my issue. Now its a new doctor. I have no idea if they have access to my files, but once I find my MRI cds I will send it to him.

9 Likes

Next time I see a vape cloud, I shall walk into the smoke and see if I can smell the vapor. When I was a kid and some people still smoked in doors, I would give them the scare of their lives as I passed them. I’ve grown out of that, but I retain my lack of patience for olfactory offenders.

Decades of practice probably have me holding my breath as I pass them, and pass them I always do. As much as I’m genuinely loathe to do it, I clearly need to walk up to someone vaping and see if it has a smell to it.

3 Likes

If his middle name was Doughnuts, I’d vote for him regardless of his vaping shenanigans.

11 Likes

It’s my constitutional right as a pulmonormal American to huff Albuterol on airplanes as I please.

3 Likes

My father (dead 10 years now) had a permanent back injury that put him on federal disability. He was prescribed a prescription narcotic, which allowed him to function mostly normally, for most of 20 years until the AMA decided that people with chronic pain shouldn’t get it or similar drugs. He wound up getting it in Canada for a while from a Canadian doctor (we lived in Seattle) and, eventually, found a Nevada doctor that would risk his AMA membership by still prescribing it against AMA internal rules.

4 Likes

I was more wondering why the store for a blog is selling vapes. :slight_smile:

Snow Crash.

3 Likes

Everyone knows future medicine is delivered by hypospray.

10 Likes

That looks like weed in the clear plastic bit.

A bit of self-deprecating humor…

14 Likes

And here I was hoping it was shotgunned…

3 Likes

The gov’t knows about your pain and is working on a technical solution:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/ecomm/e_rx/

(Rather released a spec for it, EHR companies are still working on implementation)

1 Like

Most cigarettes smell terrible.

Some actually have a nice heady aroma, in moderation. Not unlike burning sage or incense if in small amounts.

Seems like the stuff I enjoy catching a whiff of in small amounts tends to be unprocessed tobacco blends like “American Spirit”.

Were cigarettes inherently more palatable 70 years ago?

It is in California. Technically e-cigs are banned everywhere normal cigarettes are.

2 Likes

At the risk of watering down my personal vendetta against all things cigarette, I admit to agreeing. I’m a long-since reformed stoner who enjoys the occasional social cigar out-of-doors in a fair breeze, so obviously I don’t hate all smoke. But most smokers seem to favor vile smelling brands. I neither know nor care to know anything about cigarettes. But, in my experience as a second-hand victim, a sweet smelling one is about as common as a unicorn.

1 Like

Get them thrown out of the theater then!!

2 Likes

Camaro/pitbull effect. You have something that is perfectly fine get ruined by the people who it attracts.

I vape but I don’t just bust it out at the movies or even in bars, not because it smells or because I believe it’s any more toxic than bus fumes, because I don’t want to cause friction with people when I can just step outside.

I wish people would get over the scented stuff. People are getting rigs that produce huge clouds like they’re doing burnouts and they use heavy flavors. You know what guys, it’s like you just discovered cologne and you’re busting out the overdose of Axe body spray. Just dial it back.

12 Likes

…could the exhaled smell be solved by breathing into a charcoal-filled cartridge? Kind of like a gas mask turned inside out?

If it works, you could vape anywhere you please, banned or not, mask the vaporizer and absorbent cartridge as e.g. asthma inhaler, and not even the smell would betray you.

3 Likes

That sucks quite a bit, and I regret joking about it.

6 Likes

I know a bunch of long-term (decades) cigarette smokers who have greatly reduced or eliminated their cigarette use through vapes, so I’m a huge fan. Long-term smokers I know have better health and energy when they switch to a vape. The difference is NOT subtle. Commercial cigarettes are pure poison. Vaping may not be entirely safe but it’s for sure waaaay safer than inhaling the estimated 4000 chemicals in commercially combusted cigarettes, which include 43 known carcinogens and at least 400 others known toxins.

Vapes do put out smell and odor (though not long-lasting) and it’s just obnoxious to vape in an enclosed space with other non-vapers. I don’t think we should assume exhaled vape clouds are entirely safe unless someone is just vaping pure water. I have no problem with places that choose to restrict vaping indoors since clean air should be our goal for all indoor spaces. That said, I’m always skeptical when the government gets involved by passing laws. On planes, no problem since those are small, enclosed spaces and people have no choice but to sit close to one another

3 other things:

1. I think there should be some exception made for people with a medical need. Medical inhalers are a growth industry, as this congressman correctly stated. Certainly cannabis is one of the most important medicines out there for a wide variety of conditions and vaping is a great way to dose for certain conditions. I don’t think exhaled cannabis vapor contains any THC, certainly not enough to get anyone stoned, yet it can be a lifesaver for people with any one of a large list of physical and mental conditions.

2. The big push to ban vaporizers in outdoor spaces like public parks and such should be treated with appropriate skepticism. I don’t think there’s any problem with vapers outdoors; the vape cloud dissipates quickly and is not toxic the way cigarette smoke is. All cigarette smokers should be encouraged to switch over to a vaper, which is much cleaner and provides a clear path to reducing nicotine use (by reducing the nicotine content of your e-juice over time).

Pro-vaping propaganda abounds on the web (see http://notblowingsmoke.org/ and http://www.vaporauthority.com/blogs/news/34431621-the-truth-about-vaping-reasons-behind-the-anti-vaping-campaign), and while their claims should be subject to extreme skepticism they do make some valid points about government loss of tax revenue from smoking and about how vaping is much safer then smoking and thus should be encouraged (for existing smokers).

1. I also think the vape industry is targeting kids, who can get addicted to nicotine without knowing what they’re getting into. No one is clean in this fight.
13 Likes