Vaughan Oliver -- graphic designer for 4AD, Cocteau Twins, Pixies -- RIP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/30/vaughan-oliver-graphic-desi.html

5 Likes

Ah, bummer. I was listening to Treasure by Cocteau Twins not long ago. He was very talented.

4 Likes

my graphic design prof had a grip of slides of his work when she covered (then) current design. suddenly covers and sleeve/liner notes from some of my favorite albums were in my curriculum, larger than life on the screen.
she had never even listened to the music.

8 Likes

i’m not exaggerating when i say that it was because of Vaughan and one or two other designers (but mostly Vaughan) that i decided to become a graphic designer. this is such a loss. nobody designed sleeves like he did. in the age of streaming, this sort of connection isn’t understood, but for those who were around to experience it, it’s huge.

8 Likes

NOOOO!

Damn. I have all of those ('cept the Pixies, never got into them). I still evaluate sunsets and sunrises in contrast to the Victorialand cover.

5 Likes

Loved the Pixies and other 4AD artwork over the years. Great stuff! Cow eyes and everything. :wink:

Edit: Watched the brief doc that was posted, oh my, he seems like such a sweetie! Thank you for all the wonderful art, Vaughan!

3 Likes

This monkey’s gone to heaven

3 Likes

I too was inspired by the 4AD cover to be a graphic designer. After a couple years of art and design in college I ended up changing majors for better or worse. But the dream of making art that represents a collection of music never really went away. RIP

3 Likes

There’s also another article on the Guardian website about his album sleeves.

See if you can guess which one it describes like this:

Oliver himself, blurred by a long exposure, thrusts a bunch of phalluses upwards from his waist

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.