Vegans expose quitters

Like @AlanAlan, I know a couple vegans that were required to stop their vegan diets on doctors orders because of health problems. I think there is huge variety in what is appropriate for each individual person’s health, so any diet (vegan, vegetarian, or all-meat-all-the-time…) should be approached with some sense and personal monitoring.

1 Like

I reported myself, screw 'em. Hope I get added to the list.

Cory had to stop so that he could recover from hip surgery.

1 Like
Some of the best food I've ever eaten was at vegan friends' homes…
Yeah, but most of society frowns on cannibalism.

Discourse tip - just highlight the text that you want to blockquote and watch the magic happen.

1 Like

Pretty sure. The mockery is over the top, making it look like satire, but the only threat of violence I could find was to the property of a vegan who opened a butcher shop. Now, I’m no vegan, but I can’t even think of another example of how to perfectly betray both your principles and your friends. I’m not too surprised somebody roared out a few bad words - but I think the violence was only fantasy.

Agreed. I’m not saying veganism is a healthy option for everyone (though it certainly is a healthier general option for the planet, allowing for health-related exceptions, of course).

Conversely, I’ve known a couple-dozen people who were told to go on at least vegetarian diets for health reasons.

1 Like

Pfft. “The Vegans.”

Do you talk monolithically about The Blacks and The Gays like that too?

2 Likes

Haw Haw HAW!! Heehaw, heehaw!!

It does seem odd, particularly in a contemporary environment where the supply of new marks(who are very likely to be softer targets than quitters) is so enormous; but most ideologies hardcore enough to dabble in coercive violence seem to take apostates and heretics much more seriously than they do nonadherents who were never involved.

2 Likes

What’s the point of being a true believer if there aren’t false believers and unbelievers to be better than? Anyone who thinks that humility is its own reward has clearly never tried superiority…

1 Like

All of what you list as crucial issues can be addressed by the localizing and de-industrializing the farming of both plant and animal base food.

IMO the vegan focus only on the evils of the factory farming of meat takes the focus off of the wrongness of all industrial farming by blaming it on carnism, the ideology they project on meat eaters, rather than on bad systematic practice. The reason most meat is unhealthy is that it is grain fed, saturated with antiboitics and coupled with the refined carb, bad fat profile of the standard american diet. Any ideology that must defend an oversimplified position of moral perfection ends up conflating and distorting the facts and leads to weaker and less persuasive arguments and less actual change.

By the way, there is no carnism, which would be the exclusive eating of meat. I used to joke about such a thing with my friends, imagining salads made with prosciutto died green and slices of hammato, the carnite cousing of tofurkey. But now Melanie joy has ruined my satire by manifesting it ideologically and framing it in moral superiority.

I have met enough vegans of the love animals hate humans stripe to believe that the site could be real.

2 Likes

Something about this whole story just makes me want a bacon sarnie.

You know, I think I’ve read too much SF. Whenever I see “The Vegans” I think of Foundation and Contact.

I suspect that if veganism were genetic, or the-details-are-slightly-murky-but-it-seems-to-be-in-place-prenatally, talking monolithically might be more problematic.

You can still get in over your head, of course; but groups defined by voluntary lifestyle choices often tell you more about their members than do group memberships involuntarily imposed by your genes or your prenatal environment. In a western context, ‘vegan’ is even highly likely to be a group that your parents didn’t push you into(often the reverse), so the odds of it being a reflection on you personally are even better…

3 Likes

Man, does this website make me crave steak.

1 Like

Your comment implies there’s something genetic about eating dead animals and their byproducts. Evidence, please.

Your comment implies there’s something genetic about eating dead
animals and their byproducts. Evidence, please.

My field of expertise isn’t the neolithic period but AFAIK it’s possible for a human to sustain himself entirely by eating dead animals - but you have to eat the “icky parts” too…

not a genetic necessity though…

Incisors and canines.

1 Like