Vehicular homicide suspect who "reeked of alcohol" flees country

Originally published at: Vehicular homicide suspect who "reeked of alcohol" flees country | Boing Boing

3 Likes

because there is not an extradition treaty between China and the United States, their hands are tied

“No extradition treaty you say?” Trump scribbles all caps notes in Sharpie.

“Mmm, Sharpie. Why do you smell so good?”

5 Likes

I am not a police officer. But what I see in hospitals: Once you are arrested, the state has to pay your medical bills. Many people are therefor arrested After they are discharged from the hospital/ER, to save the state money. But there are varying rules about notifiying the police about a pending discharge, and varying hospital policies as well. So often the police have two choices - hope they get notified in time, or sit with the patient 24/7 throughout their hospital stay.

6 Likes

Well, there are cases where the cops arrest people and handcuff them to the hospital bed…but I guess they’re selective about applying that choice. :woman_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

Ye was in the area on a work visa. Officer Tyler says because there is not an extradition treaty between China and the United States, their hands are tied and they will need help from federal partners to take action.

1 Like

Oh, they definately arrest some people before they are discharged, and those people are sometimes handcuffed to the bed (though the police are also always there, they don’t just handcuff them and leave (that I have ever seen)).

I’m not sure exactly how they decide who gets arrested before discharge from the hospital. I assume it is a risk-mitigation choice, but that’s just an assumption.

2 Likes

I’m in recovery and my second job is working as a recovery coach at a sober living facility (I have a CADC). In Chicago and Cook County (maybe it’s true for all IL as well), the cops will handcuff you to the bed if you’re going to be charged with felony DUI.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.