Velma dethrones Dragonball: Evolution to become IMDB's worst-rated film

Or Rev. Jim from Taxi in the flashback to his Harvard days.

12 Likes

One puff of the Devil’s Cabbage and Norton started seeing talking dogs. The rest of the gang pretended to see it too for years.

16 Likes

Scared Uh Oh GIF by Boomerang Official

5 Likes

Tom Hanks can do one heck of a prat fall. :open_mouth:

It is a shame to see young Doc sent off down a destructive path by his peers.

4 Likes

Definitely its a missed opportunity, i hadn’t seen any of the trailers for the show but going off the general idea of it i thought it seemed pretty interesting. Somewhat reminds me of what Daria ended up being, a side character gets their own spin-off and builds its own world and supporting cast while fleshing out someone that was originally created as a punchline. But now seeing the comments here i find it really cringey that they decided to go towards shock value and shallow/easy jokes/commentary.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Velma

3 Likes

Rick & Morty toxic fandom reference?

6 Likes

you have to have a very high IQ to understand Velma

I’m not sure about that. Room temperature IQs and very stable geniuses know the quadratic equation.

After watching a few clips, I found the show hateful and needlessly abrasive, not funny.

2 Likes

I watched the first two eps, and thought it was sorta meh. I’m all for an updating of a classic with more diversity of characters and thought, but so far Velma seems like it wants to take a zag every. single. time. the original zigs.

Sam Richardson is never not good, though.

2 Likes

While I haven’t watch Velma and have no interest in watching it what little I have seen in clips and such reads to me as kind of like an off-brand Daria.

3 Likes

Oh, they* wish.

I don’t hate Velma, but I don’t love it, either. It could have been so much better than it is.

* The creators of the series

5 Likes

young adults solving mysteries with a dog

3 Likes

I think baffling is the right take. There’s more than one “joke” like that Me Too line, and just a generally bizarre back and forth between things in that tone and a hollow “we’re progressive!” thing. A lot of it comes off as what a conservative thinks leftist and minorities would be saying, or that lazy “everyone is shitty” edgelord shit. I still can’t tell which, or either.

It’s kind of impossible to tell what they’re even trying to do.

I will say that what the reaction is depends very much on what part of the internet you look at. Reddit for example seems very focused on the fact that Fred has been emasculated, and supposed racism against white people. That end of it has definitely aped the “who is this even for” aspect, while pushing an insulting fans line. I find it hard to believe that anyone was so attached to Scooby Doo that they can’t abide parody. Like what is the actual deep, committed fan base that drove this storied franchise to several decades of failure and cultural invisibility?

Certain people are weirdly locked into “it’s for pedos!” take tied up into all this.

Disappointment tracks. The show is aggressively meh. Which is why actual vitriol seems disingenuous. It’s not even that level of bad. It’s just not good and hopelessly confused.

6 Likes

I’m also reading that the show seems to actively dislike its own audience - disdain for the source material, for adults who watch cartoons (while also obviously not being for children), etc… Just so weird.

6 Likes

It seems to have active disdain for it’s own characters. It constantly cuts them all off at the knees, presents them in mean ways, has other characters call them out in ways that strike mainly at the way they’re written or conceived.

So I can’t even say the writers particularly like their own work. It’s impossible to pick out if they’re even trying to say anything with all of this. It comes off like they’re just being shitty to all comers, while lazily toss stock material at the screen.

Even that makes it sound worse than it is. To be clear it’s entirely bland kind of not good and lazy. It’s just a particular confusing way to end up there.

6 Likes

Ever seen Mystery Team? A 2009 dark comedy written by Donald Glover. it has an Encyclopedia Brown type group of friends that solve mysteries for a nickel. They are now teens headed toward college when a little girl hires them to find out who killed her parents.

8 Likes

That sounds awesome!

4 Likes

I think I got a case of that when I was writing my dissertation.

5 Likes

Audry Plaza is in it too.

5 Likes