Verifying your humanity is harder every day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/01/verifying-your-humanity-is-harder-every-day.html

8 Likes

Is this a bot generated test post?

9 Likes

Over the past four years the definition of “humanity” has also slid substantially.

19 Likes

One of my fav tweets

I think the moral out the story is, in the interest of “cutting costs,” we’ve done a lot to put computers between people. The quality of our society suffers as a result.

ETA: the last time I signed up for a credit card, the company actually called me to verify my identity. I was astounded they took the time/money to do that. And I really appreciated it.

11 Likes

there was one behind the wall

So this is a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much. CAPTCHA quizzes seem so pointless when a honeypot field would do the same without a break in flow and time wasted getting it wrong. But maybe it’s not that simple…

1 Like

I hate sites that are so full of themselves that they use a CAPTCHA or picture test just to let you download a manual or do something so menial.

7 Likes

But, but… I Am Robot

4 Likes

When it finally becomes impossible, we’ll have to admit it’s no longer the right question.

2 Likes

21 Likes

What do you mean “merely” human?

2 Likes

They may well he full of themselves, but a captcha before a download is not evidence of it. It’s an attempt to guard against a DOS attack through the vector of downloading manuals.

4 Likes

How about it @Flossaluzitarin

6 Likes

/r/totallynotrobots

3 Likes

Not falling for it. Nope.

26 Likes

Since maintaing our humanity seems to be getting harder as well, I hope I’ll pass the verification. These companies all try to design tests to discriminate bots from people, but they limit the tests to things that can be run cheap and easily on online, digital computers. Its never going to work that well. A person can recognize a person, but having a digital computer recognize whether the incoming stream of 1s and 0s originated with a person is a lot harder. The answer is real world, meatspace tests of humanity; the internet will never be good for some things.

6 Likes

I suppose that honeypot fields are why auto filling my details doesn’t work on some websites.

1 Like

I only heard the last bits once I got my wired headphones on, how’s that? …and my window’s got condensation on it.

Wired because 2 front, back and center drivers. I’m a bus with the windows covered in Vick’s Vap-O-Rub!

10 Likes

But I’m not a robot! I’m not!! I’M NOT A ROBOT!!

Am I?

[Smashes mirror, grabs shard and begins to slice and peel back skin on fore arm]

[Sobs]

6 Likes

Sobs because no blood, only oil?
Yep, you is a robot

3 Likes

Oh the humanity!

2 Likes