Very low priority suggestion, re: badges

There ya go, I pushed the badges one across by adding a yearling badge here :slight_smile:

I think what we will do here is add a priority thing on badges so certain bronze badges have a higher priority, for example regular and nice post should be the first of the bronzes.

To continue the whinge-fest, yearling doesn’t reflect how long some of us have been hanging around. I signed up back in '06 or '07 (refused to sign up for commenting the first time around because it was not a Wonderful Thing ::shudder::). I’m thinking there should be an ‘old fart’ badge for those of us with handles predating BBS.

4 Likes

Don’t think I’ll ever quite qualify as a leader but migods I’m getting pensive waiting for the provision of my like a baws badge.

3 Likes

Fair point, so what’s the alternative short wording?

• Guidelines Read

Maybe?

RTFAQ.

Lorem ipsum.

1 Like

I appreciate it. thanks, sam.

no chance for an opt-out feature, though, huh?

that is a good idea, too. if badges must be a part of this community, then I am for that one.

“Guidelines Read” is less likely to be misread, for sure. “Guidelines Reader” or " ‘Guidelines’ Reader" might work better? Still not perfect, though. “Has Read Guidelines” is unambiguous, but too long.

Clicked Through To The Terms Of Service And Remained On Page For [increment of time]

nice and literal. too long, though.

I am not against, “hide badges from my user card option” if we must. But would much prefer to make the badges provide useful information to people that expand the card.

• Is this user around a lot to reply to stuff
  • Does this user usually like stuff in return to likes they get
  • Does he/she read

And so on.

There is value to this information that goes beyond gamification.

I think the biggest issue we have now is that a lot of old-timers are stuck with only bronze badges (that are just meant to teach you how to use the system)

2 Likes

niche: “nitch” or “neesh”
The latter for me.

heh heh. hiding my powerlevel

I would phrase the option as “not interested in badges,” or “BoingBoing is not a contest,” though. but either way.

Although, I’ll concede your bullet points do illustrate that “there is value to this information that goes beyond gamification”

even if we changed them once

I’ve created a mawnster.

…

Well, at least another one.

-edit- I was havin a little fun posting this. Just light hearted :slight_smile: let’s not turn it into a PRD :smiley:

1 Like

Wasn’t your changeover before BBS?

yes, but i didnt have a bb ID until this iteration of comments. had disqus before and some other thing before that. think i go back to 07 at least. lurker before that.

This topic was automatically closed after 915 days. New replies are no longer allowed.