Very ugly, very expensive clothes with screengrabs from "A Clockwork Orange" on them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/28/very-ugly-very-expensive-clot.html

1 Like

Viddy well, little brother. Viddy well.

10 Likes

Reminds me of something I read from David Sedaris.

The neighborhood it was in—Ebisu—is home to one of our favorite shops, Kapital. The clothes they sell are new but appear to have been previously worn, perhaps by someone who was shot or stabbed and then thrown off a boat. Everything looks as if it had been pulled from the evidence rack at a murder trial. I don’t know how they do it. Most distressed clothing looks fake, but not theirs, for some reason. Do they put it in a dryer with broken glass and rusty steak knives? Do they drag it behind a tank over a still-smoldering battlefield? How do they get the cuts and stains so . . . right

If I had to use one word to describe Kapital’s clothing, I’d be torn between “wrong” and “tragic.” A shirt might look normal enough until you try it on, and discover that the armholes have been moved, and are no longer level with your shoulders, like a capital “T,” but farther down your torso, like a lowercase one.

Jackets with patches on them might senselessly bunch at your left hip, or maybe they poof out at the small of your back, where for no good reason there’s a pocket. I’ve yet to see a pair of Kapital trousers with a single leg hole, but that doesn’t mean the designers haven’t already done it. Their motto seems to be “Why not?”

6 Likes

I have never read such a vapid and mind numbingly boring article in my life, mostly because I avoid people like this for fear my brain may dribble out my ears in a desparate attempt to escape!

(Damn me for clicking the link assuming the unquoted portion of the article might have some redeeming element. /shudder)

The Ludovico Technique.

2 Likes

Over here suspenders are something else entirely. Alex and his droogs wear braces.

1 Like

I viddy horrorshow.

And it’s a ‘cricket box’.

Can’t help but think of this as a variation on William Gibson’s ‘ugly tee shirt’ from ‘Zero History’; I wonder if it would have the same effect of spoofing surveillance cameras?

3 Likes

Don’t blame the Russians!
That Jacket is part of an entire collection featuring images/text from Clockwork Orange by Japanese designer Jun Takahashi’s label Undercover.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.