Vicious Vancouver coyotes may be high on opioids

Originally published at: Vicious Vancouver coyotes may be high on opioids | Boing Boing

2 Likes

(from)

15 Likes

Let’s get some autopsy results or trapped and blood test results where we assume coyotes are on drugs. Who gives coyotes drugs? And do you have to wrap it in cheese first?

9 Likes

I’m a fan of the coyote-themed day.

12 Likes

I don’t want to go all Occam on this article but… rabies?

8 Likes

I did not have doped-out coyotes on my Apocalypse Bingo card…

12 Likes

Good point.

“The behaviour of some of these individuals suggest they’ve ingested toxins or drugs, possibly opioids,” Alexander says.

What behavior and spotted by who? If coyotes are entering areas with more people around, and thus more sightings, they people are going to be noting behavior they have never seen before (as they haven’t seen a lot of coyotes), but someone more familiar with wildlife behavior might recognize it as something else.

Coyotes are smart. Smart as crows.

2 Likes

I once saw one of those guys chew on a psychoactive cactus until he freaked out and ran in circles until jumping into the Rio Grande, howling and yipping at the top of his lungs until he was swept out of sight.

That was one throaty floaty peyote coyote.

23 Likes

That is an interesting story.

are they sure they are not zombie coyotes?

BoingBoing may be high on coyotes.

4 Likes

Go Away GIF

10 Likes

I did, but I was doped up at the time and I forgot to cover it.

2 Likes

6 Likes

From a CBC report on the same item:

So far, six coyotes have been euthanized after the attacks, and two of the carcasses were sent for necropsies. No evidence of rabies was found.

8 Likes

Methed-Out Coyotes is the name of my all-woman Black Eyed Peas tribute band.

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting the coyote hat-trick when I woke up this morning but now I don’t want it to stop. Maybe that’s just the Coyopiods kicking in…

4 Likes

Coyote toxoplasmosis.

3 Likes

No-one has talked about rabbits. There used to be lots and lots in the park but they are scarce now. Maybe the coyotes have run out of abundant food.

In contrast to Jericho Beach where there are still lots of rabbits and coyotes. The sailing centre grounds have rabbit bones everywhere and the coyotes trot through the compound. No reports of aggression there.

5 Likes

Possibly .Predator and prey go through boom and bust periods.

1 Like