✌ Victory! ✌

So… remember how I was certain I flunked a class?

Turns out I didn’t flunk it. After taking a deep breath, resigning myself to my fate, and looking at my grade, I got a C+. I never keep track of my grade during the semester. To me, it makes no sense beyond the drop date, and I usually don’t worry about dropping anyway because of the way it often affects financial aid. I don’t understand students who endlessly calculate their grade and figure out minimum scores and grade cut-offs. My personal philosophy is basically:

If I do my best, then that’s literally all I can do. I don’t always do my best (because if I did, I wouldn’t be worried about this grade in the first place) but I don’t see the benefit of adding anxiety to the process. So I never really know my grade until the end.

Still, I don’t get it. That’s not a on a straight curve. After calculating it, there is no mathematical way I made the passing grade unless my instructor scaled it. I’m feeling a little split. On the one hand: Whoo-hoo, I passed. On the other hand the grade is inflated. On the one hand, I feel like I didn’t master the material. On the other hand, I don’t have to, I was taking the course for my own edification…

Either way, I think I might prefer a straight scale. I don’t know that I accept the philosophy behind scaling or curving grades. Still. I didn’t fail. Goes in the “win” column.

20 Likes