Video captured by wife of Keith Scott documents fatal encounter with Charlotte police

I admit that you have a valid point, as it is very hard to quantify everything. The numbers are available for unarmed persons shot (White-19, Black-15, Hisp-5) and toy weapons (White-13, Black-10, Hisp-2) . But people shot who genuinely did not pose a threat is a hard one, because each case seems to have different factors, and the law also differs. In some circumstances, it is legal to use deadly force to apprehend a fleeing suspect, even if they do not pose an immediate threat to the officer.
But I will be the first to admit that there are some terrible injustices, and situations where officers used excessive force when none was required, or just panicked in the face of perceived danger. I will disagree if someone claims that such instances are only about race. Especially in the Charlotte case. I really think that making it all about race distracts from actually solving the problem. I would love to help a movement to stop police violence and militarization, but I am not going to support BLM. They have been screaming profanities and threatening at my kid in university, which will win them neither his support, or mine. But that is a little off topic.
I am not trying to hide behind statistics. All I have to form my opinion is anecdotal evidence, personal experience, and those statistics. I am not an urban or Black person, and I have no dealings with the police, so I cannot rely on personal experience (at least in the US). Anecdotes are selective. You cannot read all of them, so there is a possibility of selection bias in those presented. At some point, they need to conform to the stats. If police are indiscriminately killing unarmed Black people, the statistics should reflect that. Right now, on September 24th, we have 15 of those so far. That is still 15 too many, but it is not a nationwide epidemic of unrestricted killing.

Heavens! Bring me my fainting couch.

And whatever can Herr Doktor Blancke’s spawn have been doing to attract the attention of these urban thugs I wonder.

5 Likes

That is exactly what I said yesterday to someone (northern Euro heritage who grew up in a suburb in Ohio) who was upset in the same way. Every time you hear a white person say “why is this happening so much more now?” you have to make a point of telling them that it’s not happening more, it’s just that more people have smart phones and a way to do live streaming now, so white people are finally becoming aware of the long-standing reality.

9 Likes

He was studying with his classmates in a room in a library on campus. Not at a Hitler Youth Rally. Quietly studying with a diverse group of other Med Students during finals week.

1 Like

Even with the new videos, it is hard to see a gun, but the ankle holster is pretty visible.

Looks like an ankle brace to me.

7 Likes

“The narrative”

That’s what matters here?

I had that exact conversation with my girlfriend. I used the example of Bigfoot as well, as an example of something that supposedly exists but clearly doesn’t because we’d have photos and videos of it by now.
Police brutality however is not hard to find and not hard to document. Police Brutality is not a tall tale.

6 Likes

You can have both sides of a conversation, but do you see yourself as entitled when you do?

3 Likes

Well then you should really drop your gun.

1 Like

I see it as looking at all reasonable viewpoints and arguments, putting them up against the known facts, then forming my position based on that process.
Entitled to what? my opinion?

1 Like

Still waiting on a source for that claim that he had shot at police during an earlier encounter. I know you have far too much integrity and respect for reasoned discussion to throw out such an inflammatory charge without citations to back it up.

5 Likes

I can’t find it yet. I updated my post to include that information. I would hate to think that I repeated unverified information, I am pretty sure that I saw it on a filed warrant on vinelink, but If I can’t find real verification, then it can be assumed to have not happened. I will keep looking. There is a bunch of information there.

Yes. I’m waiting for a source for that made up sounding fact too.

But based on the benefit of the doubt he generally offers, I have to say fuck that.

Cough up your proof, prove that those weren’t just weasel words max.

1 Like

You might be right. All I have is the VINE#, which is VINE0977996001. I can’t find a facsimile of the charges anymore. Unless something turns up, I have to assume that I was wrong. Certainly, he was not convicted of shooting at the arresting officers. But I will keep looking. Maybe a newspaper report from the time can be found.

I don;t know if it relates to whether he was carrying when shot, but on 10/3/15, Mr. Scott had a restraining order filed against him by his wife, who claimed at that time that he had threatened her with an illegal handgun that he carried.

Why am I hearing only Trump’s voice?

1 Like

I just heard him “ugh”…

Ha!

Gotcha, bitch.

STOP TROLLING THE THREAD! 

1 Like