Video captures F-16 crashing into California warehouse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/video-captures-f-16-crashing-i.html

3 Likes

Needs more splosions!

6 Likes

That’ll buff out.

9 Likes

Meh. I’ve taxed worse…

Even if the fuel tanks were near empty, there’s still plenty of gas to go boom. A bizarre bit of luck it did not.

4 Likes

The Kool-Aid man probably never should have been granted pilot certification for the F-16 in the first place.

19 Likes

They are really thinking outside the box for these new GI Joe character tie ins…
Sgt Slaughter

The Fridge

Kool-Aid man

Though my next D&D character I want to do is “Kill-Aid” - a Barbarian painted red in the blood of his enemies, always willing to help cure a friend’s thirst for blood.

8 Likes

I imagine the mechanic responsible for the hydraulics is going to have a bad day.

4 Likes

“Holy fucking shit, dude!” seems like a fair comment from that warehouse guy.

17 Likes

“Man, these Amazon Drone Deliveries are going to put us out of business.”

14 Likes

No doubt a more detailed explanation is forthcoming.

14 Likes

“So dear, how was work at the warehouse. Same old thing I suppose?”

:astonished::boom::man_shrugging:

Side note: If the footage of the warehouse was any more shaky, big foot would have been contractually obligated to run through the shot.

7 Likes

That’s why they call it training, I guess.

3 Likes

I’m going to give him credit for being far more restrained than I would have been.

5 Likes

If I had a F-16 drop in on me unexpectedly like that, I’d be shaking too.

6 Likes

Jokes aside, I would be a shaking mess as well. I’m glad no one was hurt.

3 Likes

Parking has been pretty bad at the air reserve base lately… push comes to shove and all that.

2 Likes

I worked on an AFB and on my lunch breaks I’d go down and watch planes take off and land on the runway. I watched an F-16 light up full burners, roll out about half the runaway, and then eject. Some kind of mechanical failure. The airplane rolled to the end of the runway then bumped into the ILS localizer antenna array, breaking its carbon fiber nose cone in the process.

8 Likes

It’s completely natural to occasional have an early ejection on the runway and then break the nose cone fiber cover… oh air planes. I thought. never mind…

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Maybe… It’s an ANG Viper, so it’s probably fairly old.

Edit: It’s a SD 114th FW ANG viper, so it’s flown by a 144th FW California ANG pilot, So it’s Block 40 ~1989-95. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an underlying airframe issue.

1 Like