When NASA crash-landed a jetliner full of fuel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/05/when-nasa-crash-landed-a-jetli.html

8 Likes

The patient died, but the operation was a success.

17 Likes

Touching how the crash test dummies hug each other. Overall rather disturbing though.

14 Likes

First lesson learned from this test? Don’t install giant steel wing shredders at the end of the runway.

17 Likes

CIA agent: What’s the next step of your master plan?
NASA: Crashing this plane, with no survivors!

5 Likes

There’s a political metaphor in this somewhere, but I can’t be bothered to think about it because it is so much fun watching the pure aesthetics of this explosive slow motion plane crash with no guilt about anyone dying or being hurt. Wait…

7 Likes

Did you see the leg room?

31 Likes

So Hollowood doesn’t exaggerate the explosion of a crashing jet.

3 Likes

No, but they use the fireball of an exploding jet for a parking lot fender-bender.

15 Likes

Crazy fools.

2 Likes

You mean you didn’t notice the “dummy” piloting the plane was wearing a red MAGA cap?

[ETA: there is famous footage of a crashing jet that seemed to get used in music videos a lot years ago, I couldn’t find it on the Internet Archives-- anyone know what I’m talking about?]

11 Likes

Wow pretty spectacular… Makes me wonder what sort of filming/camera equipment was used… Was it transmitting to external recorders, or did it survive the crash somehow?

3 Likes

This doc from a few years ago was pretty good

3 Likes

he FAA concluded that about one-quarter of the passengers would have survived,

Oh man, but who would want to?
#yikes

5 Likes

MAGA!

6 Likes

Yep, that’s fucking terrifying.
I’m with Mr T. on this one.

6 Likes

This was strangely beautiful but watching that one dummy lean over and hug the other one fucking BROKE me

1 Like

I really dig the soundtrack. Who composed it?

1 Like

Was just going to comment on it as well - has a bit of a Phillip Glass vibe.
Couldn’t find any mention of the score in the credits or the source site.

Back in the 40s and 50s NACA used the old Ravenna Arsenal site for full scale aircraft crash testing. The text is a little more dry than the video, but it does include a picture. https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4306/ch6.htm Search for Ravenna to find the relevant section (unless you are interested in icing tunnel development).