Footage from inside crash-landing Russian plane

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/06/footage-from-inside-crash-land.html

3 Likes

It’s important to note that the Sukhoi Superjet 100 (especially the future “Russified” version) is a pet prestige project of the Putin regime, so be prepared for a lot of “nah-theeng to see here” from the Russian government (even though a lot of the suppliers for components on the current equipment are European and American).

10 Likes

tenor

5 Likes

I read somewhere else, and I don’t recall where, that there were reports that people were stopping to get their stuff out of the over head bins. Any truth to that?

That’s almost always the case, unfortunately. People are nuts. I remember seeing pics of people with luggage evacuating the plane that crashed in San Francisco several years back.

5 Likes

This is why you shouldn’t build your aircraft out of magnesium.

7 Likes

Someday people will think fossil fuel vehicles which run on explosions are more dangerous than battery powered. It will take a while.

6 Likes

That is what killed Ricky Nelson.

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/N711Y-Nelson.htm
“It took firefighters more than two hours to extinguish the inferno - propelled by the fuselage’s magnesium construction - and the victim’s bodies were recovered by the following morning.”

5 Likes

Jeez, you can’t please everyone.

[too soon?]

2 Likes

I hpe that’s true, but it’s also true that at least some of the current (heh) battery technologies give off amazing amounts of heat and flame if they’re shorted, such as when the cell is breached in an impact.

3 Likes

Nah, I just remember reading a while ago that the magnesium construction of his plane contributed to his death. One of those trivia factoids which seemed apt to bring up.

2 Likes

I couldn’t make out what the people in the background were screaming, but near the end one guy says успокойся, “calm down.” Which apparently wasn’t the right attitude, considering getting out quickly saved lives.

I wonder if someone else sat in his/her seat filming the fire for a little longer and perished because of it. “This is sure to go viral!”

3 Likes

Technically, jet engines don’t run on explosions, they run on campfires. Instead of a stone ring, they use compressed air to contain the burn.

But from a safety point of view it doesn’t matter much what technology the engine uses. It takes the same tremendous amount of energy to do the work of lifting the plane up, moving it along, and setting it down. It doesn’t matter if its energy is stored in a battery, a gas tank, or a ball of uranium; if some accident lets out all of that energy at once, the results will be disastrous.

By way of example, look at the Mythbusters storage of energy in the form of hot water, and the results when the container fails. And that’s just the puny amount of energy you can suck through an extension cord - it’s barely enough to power a winch that could tow a plane at a few feet per second, not hundreds of miles per hour.

10 Likes

A good number of people in the second video can be seen to be dragging something, much to the detriment of all the passengers in the rear.

4 Likes

I do recall there being reports in other situations like this were people just freeze up and die that way. The response is “fight, flight, or freeze” and some people are just frozen in high stress situations.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s my worldview these days, how storing energy in a concentrated way (LP tanks, flywheels, you name it) is subject to disaster. Like you said, @jaded, if the energy is let out all at once… it’s a Bad Day.

1 Like

Its not the root cause, but it seems that the aircraft hit the runway with a high rate of descent. This pushed the main landing gear upwards through the wing and released fuel, which caught fire on the next bounce.

The root cause is being given as a lightning strike but that may not tell the full story. Part of the issue is that the aircraft was flying on direct law (full manual control) and the crew weren’t prepared to land it in that condition. They may also have been missing control of some control surfaces, because of an electrical failure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.