When NASA crash-landed a jetliner full of fuel

Score: ‘Black Vortex’ by Kevin MacLeod

https://incompetech.filmmusic.io/song/3442-black-vortex

4 Likes

Upon viewing the results, President Trump tweeted that “obviously we need to do many more tests in order to know whether crash-landing a fully-loaded jet results in a massive fireball. One test is not enough!”

Curious how the plane was flown. Was it radio remote-controlled?

1 Like

from wiki:
Kevin MacLeod (/məˈklaʊd/ mə-KLOWD ; born September 28, 1972) is an American composer and musician.[1][2] MacLeod has composed over 2,000 pieces of royalty-free library music and made them available under a Creative Commons copyright license.[3][4][5] His licensing options allow anyone to use his music for free as long as he receives attribution (credit), which has led to his music being used in thousands of films.[6] His music has also been used in some commercial video games such as Kerbal Space Program .

2 Likes

I and another schoolmate knew the unlucky fellow – Mr. C – who was effectively the project manager for that disaster; he had been our FAA work-study manager, all supporting a study of the noise-impact of BAC Concorde landings at JFK.

In a televised, post-crash interview, Mr. C attempted to slap a happy face on the (to put it kindly, compromised) crash test; the NASA ‘words’ shown near the end of the video advanced that feeble attempt. In truth, only one wing was supposed to be severed by the big blade seen on the ground, and cleanly – with no other damage in order to facilitate the best view of spilling jet fuel so to visually determine the benefit of the de-misting agent added to the fuel.

It was an incredibly risky and unnecessary trial that could have been performed more inexpensively and safely with a static wing-only ground test. Lots of go-aheads had to authorize what you see in the video, but it was Mr. C who had to suck it up. The whole thing gave me a sick feeling; at the work study job, Mr. C was suffering from stomach ulcers that we all, at the job, knew about. Lots of stomach clutching and loud, painful yelps. Add the later ground test to that. Jeez.

5 Likes

Yep. Pilot screwed up.

3 Likes

Shocking lack of diversity amongst the crash dummies. Don’t think I saw one person of colour. Disgraceful.

Four of the ten visible dummies from 1:09 appear to be PsOC, as are at least three from 1:15

Not all commercial jet aircraft are able to dump fuel at all.

Commercial jet aircraft which can dump fuel are never set up to dump all their fuel.

These aircraft will never crash without fuel by design, only if they run out of fuel and crash as a result.

Fuel tanks which are mostly empty (or only contain vapor) are arguably more dangerous than full fuel tanks.

1 Like

Puppets of Color?

It looks like the outside footage was shot on movie film, but the footage from the plane was much lower resolution, presumably a TV transmission using standard NTSC cameras and broadband radio channels. It was probably recorded on broadcast-quality videotape, since there are no visible tape artifacts.

2 Likes

Thanks! Those were my suspicions too. I figured you could never have either film or tape on-board with that kind of heat.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.