Video: Dog switched on stove that caused house fire

Originally published at: Video: Dog switched on stove that caused house fire | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m wondering how, or even if, their homeowners insurance covered the damages…

3 Likes

I would think it would. Unless the person who wrote the policy was dyslexic and put in an exemption for “acts of Dog”.

17 Likes

Clean houses save lives.

3 Likes

(Can’t find a video of the Not the Nine O’Clock News version.)

6 Likes

16 Likes

I can just imagine a rejection letter describing the actions that led the pet into a dangerous situation. Reminds me of a scenario involving a person who left greasy pots and pans in an oven. Someone else turned the oven on, and a fire broke out as a result. Some insurers are very strict about what’s considered to be a maintenance or neglect issue.

4 Likes

Luckily, we were watching when our cat learned how to turn on the fireplace switch, which now has a lock on it, from the mantle.

4 Likes

I can, but it seems to be only posted on Facebook, so I’m not posting a link. :wink:

My crew and I responded to a similar fire and fire investigators determined that it was the dog, as well. Must not be that uncommon. Shithouse luck. I’ve been in a fire where people left a gallon of gas on their stove (i guess to remind themselves to mow the lawn?). The rest of the house burned up from another ignition source, except the kitchen with the stove and the gascan on it.

7 Likes

Fortunately the Fire Setter is a rare breed.

17 Likes

I will have nightmares of wifi enabled stovetops. Pretty much the definition of attractive nuisance for hackers.

2 Likes

An acquaintance had her car torn apart in Yosemite by bears (foolishly left an empty cooler in view). The insurance company tried to deny the claim as an Act of God. She calmly asked for their lawyer to prepare a document stating the company’s unequivocable belief that a bear was God. They ended up paying the claim shortly thereafter.

8 Likes

This joke deserves way more likes than it is getting. :joy:

6 Likes

That’s what you get for having touch controls on the stove.

2 Likes

One of my dogs can open every unlocked door in the house. The other one has learned how to turn on a floor fan and the fake fireplace (electric space heater that has fake flames). I keep them out of the kitchen with baby gates.

ETA: the fake fireplace turns on via a motion sensor in the upper corner. Bailey has figured out that he can just shove his nose in that area an it will turn on.

2 Likes

Had she mocked any bald men recently?

3 Likes

Previously on Pets and Electrical Appliances:

4 Likes

3 Likes

The stove is one of the few things in the house designed not to burn under high heat :thinking:

1 Like