Video: girls singing Georgian polyphonic music

Great. Music from the middle ages. Sounding great. Thanks

I’ve sung a few Georgian songs in my group. At first they feel impossible to learn, but by the end you can’t help but be in love with the unfamiliar rhythms and harmonies.

Here’s one I know and like, sung by only 3 men, but the polyphony makes it seem like more voices:

And probably my absolutely most favorite Georgian song (that I know):

3 Likes

I’ve had the great pleasure of being a guest at two big celebration dinners just outside Tbilisi this year. Both had a surprising and delightful male voice choir performing, in an acoustically amazing wine cellar, classical Georgian songs such as Shen Khar Venakhi. Listening to this, the world stopped turning.

The lead toastmaster then said the choir would sing something to honour the British guests. I looked over at the choir to see them looking at smartphones quizzically. Then, without hesitation, they broke into a multipart harmonic version of God Save the Queen. 3 verses long.

I will confess to having tears in my eyes at that point.

1 Like

Try the Rustavi Folk Choir. Male voice only but still lovely and jewel-like singing.

Very nice but why do I expect to see the Dukes of Hazard come flying around the bend any minute.

1 Like

This is lovely! However, can we please stop calling young women “girls” - would you use “boys” for performers of the same age, but male?

1 Like

The three singers are: Tatia Mgeladze, Shorena Tsiskarauli and Ani Chincharauli.
They’re called “Mandili Trio” and are located on Facebook.

Info found on Huffpost.

4 Likes

I found this article while hunting a bit of related information. It’s short, but has a lot of good references in it. Surprisingly - even though I wasn’t searching her (and haven’t) - a picture of Ani Chincharauli and a link to this youtube video of her playing in 2012 are both included!

1 Like

Yes. Next question?

I appreciate you braving Teh Huff-Po for the info.

:smile:

Also check out Brooklyn’s own, Black Sea Hotel. I have seen them preform a number of times, and sort of fall into a trance every time. They are incredible

http://www.youtube.com/user/blackseahotel

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.