Video: MAGA man who ran for Ohio governor (and lost) thinks earth and dinosaurs are 6,000 years old

You have the MAGA, we have similar creatures.

7 Likes

The interesting thing is, I don’t think so, and in fact Young Earth Creationists disagree on some pretty fundamental things about the world in general and Christianity specifically with their vanilla Evangelical neighbours.

For now though, all Christians are good and non-Christians are bad until further notice. What nobody seems to talk about is, after they succeed in killing off all the queers, atheists, Muslims, etc, then all these Evangelical sub-sects are gonna have it out. Rather like the Protestants and Catholics have had for so many years.

That’s the thing about basing your world view on division and hate– there’s always an ever-finer division to find and more people to hate. Especially when you’ve convinced yourself that you hate other people because you love them. That’s Evangelicalism in a nutshell.

13 Likes

Indeed the deepest hate is often reserved for those that are the seemingly closest to you. Because they are the ones most likely to convert your co-religionists.

5 Likes

Nah. If you wanna be top sect, leave the queers, atheists, Muslims, and such to keep the others busy and distracted; and get started on your closest rival. You have to do it someday, so best get started before they know what is coming. When your sect has absorbed or liquidated the other one, start on the next nearest one. By the time they have worked out what’s going on, you will be bigger than the others. It isn’t Natural Selection when God wills it, right?

Spread the word…

3 Likes

GIF by Giphy QA

6 Likes

Wow. I’m learnding so much on this thread.

im-learnding

7 Likes

I think the accurate term, especially in this case, is disembarked.

9 Likes

Yeah, and the problem also far more expansive than that - it’s about never having learned about, well, anything, no history, no other cultures, that people actually think and feel about things differently from how they do. These are the people who say things like, “This is how marriage has always been throughout the world and all of human history” while talking about a definition of marriage that wasn’t even common in the United States previous to about 70 years ago, much less anywhere else in the world, much less historically. (And is directly contradicted by their own Bibles.) For these people, their entire worldview is built around the idea that what they personally experienced growing up is the way things are and always have been for everyone. So anything that upsets that notion has to be rejected.

Though politically, it seems like they’re happy to throw their weight behind anyone who is notionally protestant and seems to hate the same people they do. (Which Trump is good at.) Right now there’s weird evangelical/right-wing Catholic alliances, despite the fact that these same evangelicals think Catholics are a Satanic cult. They’ll absolutely eat the Catholics alive as soon as any of their goals are reached, but right now they’re useful, so…

Reading/listening to YECs, afterwards one feels like, “Huh, just in trying to understand their position, I got dumber on multiple levels.”

8 Likes

As a simplified version I tend to describe it like this: I don’t like alcohol, therefore no one likes alcohol. Anyone who suggests otherwise is lying or sick.

Of course since I’m not a Republican, I don’t actually believe this and I’m perfectly accepting of the fact that other people just might enjoy a beer without it affecting me in any way.

7 Likes

I just learned last night (from reading a book) that James Henry Breasted, the first American with an Egyptology degree, had initially studied to become a minister. He studied ancient languages, and freaked TF out when he came across massive amounts of biblical mal- and mistranslations. It was so bad, he realized he couldn’t possibly preach anything from such shoddily translated works!

He instead devoted his life’s work to painstakingly copying Every Single Egyptian Inscription - on the walls, monuments and artworks in Egypt herself, and on objects held in museum collections worldwide. He equally painstakingly translated all he had recorded, and published the lot in four volumes in 1906-7; a fifth later came out, consisting of the indices his students had built. Nothing anywhere near its range and depth has since been produced. Much of it is now outdated, but his translations of inscriptions which have since weathered away or were destroyed are invaluable.

I loved learning that the bible’s blatant fuckedness made a would-be preacher instead become a great Egyptologist.

Had I any interest in such things, it would still be very difficult for me to take seriously any biblical scholars’ works (I have looked at some of that stuff when I worked in bookstores) b/c so many allow their personal religion to color and shape their findings, rather than having the detachment of scientific thinking. I simply can’t see such an approach as scholarly, no matter how hard I try: I would have no choice but to question all their information and conclusions.

I don’t wanna be preached at, I want to learn, goddammit. :wink:

11 Likes

Yah, that’s what I mean though- that’s the case for now. If they get their theocracy full of dead queers and brown people, then they’ll turn on each other.

6 Likes

i have a letter of marque from a sworn representative of admiral lady dame honor harrington of mantacore ; around here somewhere , i think , i mean i did have , even if i lack the document , it still remains a warrant , if not beyond any reasonable doubt , at least to the preponderance of evidence

1 Like

Or, to put it historically:

8 Likes

I’m still puzzled over the manure problem - all those animals, all that poop. Did they just shovel it up and throw it overboard?

5 Likes

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.