Video shows a 69-year-old man getting rescued 22 hours after his boat capsized

Originally published at: Video shows a 69-year-old man getting rescued 22 hours after his boat capsized | Boing Boing

4 Likes

So what happens with a capsized (but not sunk) boat when you are rescued? Do they leave it, or tow it back to harbor?

ETA: A little information for self-righting vessels, but I don’t know about what happens when it can’t.

4 Likes

Nice.

1 Like
5 Likes

Hope he’s home and warm, sail on another day Old Salt.

7 Likes

Agreed. That must have been crazy cold.

3 Likes

I dare not tell what the statistics are for survival after you hit the water, it’s so few that in maritime school they just said zero.

6 Likes

I saw a cold water demonstration on Newton’s Apple back when Ira was still hosting, and it was eye-opening. They had Ira trying to move or manipulate objects with his arm completely submerged, and he was having great difficulty after only a minute.

freezing dan james GIF by Much

5 Likes
4 Likes

Every serious sailor I’ve ever met has a story that begins “And then there was that time I almost died…”

5 Likes

“It depends.” Generally if the boat can be towed, the Coast Guard will do it. If not they’ll sink it. Otherwise it’s a hazard to navigation.

5 Likes

Apparently swearing helps:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.