Video: the mathematics of where to park your car

Wait, they’re talking about parking in actual parking lots or garages? That’s barely Parking 101. The mathematics on where to park your car on the street in a major city is much more challenging.

4 Likes

The correct answer for that is take the bus.

3 Likes

I recently moved from Toronto to Austin, and very quickly learned this lesson after nearly burning myself on my seatbelt latch and seat materials after a brief 15 minute park in the full sun. Ordered a windshield sunshade the very next day.

I don’t think I fit into either of these categories though. I am instead often the “extreme optimist”; if I don’t find a parking spot close to the entrance, I start over, assuming one will open up the next time I go by. I’m pretty sure it is probably the least efficient model most of the time, yet I do it anyway. :pensive:

6 Likes

I remember seeing a video some years ago talking about the strategy to get a desired spot (ie: near the entrance) is that usually a spot will open up within 5 minutes, so driving around and circling back within that timeframe should help. Granted i never have the patience to test this myself and i just look for any open spot. Especially when it comes to downtown Austin.

2 Likes

Ima steal that! :rofl:

2 Likes

A quick invocation of The Guardian Angel of Parking Spaces usually does the trick.

2 Likes

I always choose the spot that my car would enjoy the most.

3 Likes

Hail Asphalta, Full of Grace…

6 Likes

I’ve been to so many math talks about “parking functions”. It’s quite an interesting theory, even if it’s a fairly silly name.

This was my first thought, too. Strategy discussions among my friends who plan to drive into the city focus on where to find a parking lot. Most are filled by regular commuters, area residents, and students. Any open space on the street is likely to have some restriction that prevents you from using it, forcing you to drive around longer looking for a lot that isn’t full. The mathematics of parallel parking just adds another degree of difficulty.

3 Likes

Beat me to it. My real question is why aren’t ALL parking lots of larger business shaded completely by solar panels?

2 Likes

Yes I park in the most empty and quiet part of the parking area to minimize the chance of it being damaged by people parking and walking near it. I invariably return to a new cluster of cars parked around my car. There has to be a theory behind that.

4 Likes

Park far away and get some exercise!

3 Likes

Cost: but at least in Tucson it’s beginning to happen. Mostly churches and schools at the moment, for whatever reason.

I was surprised to find this Walmart in Truth or Consequences NM had solar panels in their parking lot. And plenty of electric vehicle charging stations as well.

7 Likes

The reduction in radiant heat surrounding the building would reduce the load on the AC, plus people entering the building wouldn’t need to feel icy air if they didn’t broil on the way in.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.