Videos of organs being harvested from living children are big on Facebook now

It’s actually quite literally hypocritical – not just in your eyes.

4 Likes

I know a local police officer through a mutual hobby. He said he’s been asked to be part of the ICE unit as he is quite technical, but he turned it down because he knew it would be damaging to his mental health. Almost no one wants to do it, but the ones who agree tend to be the crusader types. I think that’s probably the only way (aside from, you know, being a pedo) to do that type of job for very long.

My digital forensics prof did it for the local force here. he was an utterly broken man because of it.

3 Likes

I actually know this.

They work in shifts, in pairs. Buddy system, and limited exposure.

Periodic wellness checks with a psych, where they interview you on how you cope with the stress.

(Friend was FBI for a while)

3 Likes

I already have tendencies towards misanthropism. I’m sure having to do that kind of work would have me in a cabin in the woods writing a technology manifesto faster than anything.

1 Like

This shouldn’t have been their first clue; but it’s generally a bad idea to break the “if Jello Biafra makes a sarcastic reference to doing it it it’s probably not good policy” rule.

1 Like

As @tinoesroho said, there’s no shortage of sociopaths, both professional political operatives and conventional internet trollies, who will use horrific imagery out of context to foment racism and xenophobia or simply shock people, same class of damaged people who swat people because their idea of fun is calling a hit on people.

Tragically, a lot of people won’t even bat an eye at the slaughter of children by chemical weapons even though they’re rightly repulsed and traumatized by the original story.

As noted in other comments, first responders and war correspondents face a lot of the same increased mental health risks as content moderators, especially PTSD.

5 Likes

Yeah, organ harvesting is done to unpopular demographics (e.g. prisoners) and even then secretly. So while organ harvesting of adults might happen (rarely), I’d never expect to actually see it.

Plus the act itself doesn’t make any sense - “organ harvesting” would be for transplant, under controlled conditions, which means you don’t do it to someone who’s awake (harvesting organs isn’t compatible with torturing someone to death, in intention or outcome - you want intact organs), and you certainly wouldn’t do it to children (because their organs aren’t useful for adults).

5 Likes

As kind of a unicorn chaser to this story, I’ll post this one. I’ll also remind people to please opt-in to organ donation when renewing a driver’s license or writing a will.

6 Likes

If ever there were a day we needed unicorn chasers, this is it.

As an addendum, some survivors of medical conditions may be uncertain if they can be organ donors. Note that it’s still worth trying.

American Cancer Society:
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorship-during-and-after-treatment/be-healthy-after-treatment/can-i-donate-my-organs.html

[sorry, OneBox isn’t cooperating today]

2 Likes

I don’t know what’s worse – the fact that humans are actively engaging in filming and uploading this awful shit, or the fact that Facebook execs obviously don’t give a fuck so long as they’re able to buy even bigger Palo Alto McMansions.

Faith in anything: 0%.

■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■!

Thank you! this really sounded like some alex-jones-bullshit ala “they harvesting babys!!!11!!!”

@xeni: can you PLEASE change the headline and include the update? this is from the verge-article, the marked link lead to the from p00r0ne linked article:

I mean, seriously @xeni, why?!? all “fake-news” and made up shit everywhere and you post something right out of a breitbart-horror-headline (“they harvesting babys!!!11!!!”) without further checking?!? JEEEZUZ!

2 Likes

More like delete boingboing with these horrible headlines.

Surely they could have just deleted the accounts. But facebook wants its accounts, its users.

Evidence on the human race: Hitler, Stalin, the massacre of Native Americans, rates of child abuse and femicide here. I’d fight you for that cabin in the woods.

The sad truth is that exporting the jobs has left moderators with NO access to mental health professionals. Given violent movie and game content along with the horrors they have to watch, they probably believe that America is as dangerous as a tribe of lions, if not more so.

No facebook account and quit looking at Marketplace after I found out that they track you for the rest of the day.

1 Like

Euthanasia isn’t barbaric.

They do, but they are almost always fake accounts. Bots clone real people by scraping all the public info and photos from a profile, maybe send a bunch of friend requests to either the cloned profile’s friends or just randos, and once they look legit they start spamming.

Not sure compensation at any level is just for the shit these people see.

No.

That’s just it, who is at fault? Corporations are wizards at deflecting responsibility, so you can be sure it’ll be a cold day in hell before FB is held accountable (if, indeed, they are accountable at all). Side note: a strong argument might be made that the fundamental purpose of the legal construct we call a “corporation” is to deflect liability and maximize profits. Anyway, I’m pretty darn sure we’re not gonna solve this riddle in the BBS comments. It is, in some ways, a natural consequence of societal ills coming up against the concentrative power of modern tech. Besides, we have no way of knowing what the liability clause(s) look like in the subcontracts that FB issues to these folks. If I were a betting person, I’d put money on the idea that they’re tipped in the favor of the larger corporation.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess this is sort of what I was saying. That it is more a side effect of connecting people then facebook doing something wrong here. (They do plenty wrong mind you, just don’t see that this is one of them).

Europol run a website where they share such background details (with the rest of the image removed) so that members of the public can try to recognise them.

1 Like