Vincent Price and Boris Karloff both used some weird ingredients in their homemade guacamole recipes

I have a really hard time believing that 3 Tablespoons of mayo can ruin 2 large avocados. What kind of weak-ass avocados are we to believe these were?

1 Like

Just to curse everyone else, I spent the entirety of halloween singing (in my head mostly, but sometimes outloud) the lyrics to the themesong to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air to the tune of and in the style of Monster Mash.

I’ll tell you how I became… the Prince of Bel Air!

4 Likes

Is that guacamole made with Sichuan peppercorns and chili peppers?

1 Like

Coriander is cilantro so it doesn’t seem that strange to seen it in guacamole.

1 Like

That struck me as an odd thing to be weirded out about, as well. I love putting fresh cilantro in my guac and it’s a very common ingredient in restaurants.

1 Like

I also am disappoint. Recipies contain no cocaine, ether, or laudanum. 2/5 Bauhauses. Would not recommend.

4 Likes

Iits implied that you’d add them to taste :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sad to hear that. Also, makes me curious. How did you notice. Did you consult an allergologist? If so, did they say anything about prevalence of this allergy? (E.g., common, very uncommon, more common with particular groups of people…?)

Sidenote: avocado is an interesting fruit, and I remember it to be toxic to most mammals except primates and sloths. Maybe you now have prove to be a (albeit possibly slightly unhappy?) mutant?

1 Like

over the course of the year, more or less, before it developed into a profound allergy i had begun noticing that my guacamole was burning my mouth which i thought might have meant i was using too much jalapeno or not getting rid of enough of the veins and seed. but then i noticed that was also happening when i was eating sliced avocado with just a little lemon juice over it.

over time the reaction became worse with mild swelling of lips, tongue, and throat followed over the next few months by more serious swelling when i ate it. the last two times i tried eating something with avocado in it not only did my tongue swell to the point that my speech was hard to understand but my throat swelled to the point it was hard for me to breathe. i also had a full-blown asthma attack along with the swelling. the last time i tried eating guacamole i took 4 benadryl tablets an hour ahead of eating it. this seemed to moderate the effects just a bit and slow the onset of symptoms by a little but in the end i was almost unable to breathe and i developed hives erupting around my mouth and spreading from there.

i talked it all over with my doctor who told me that i had developed an allergic response to the avocados which was getting worse over time, much the way an allergy to antibiotics will typically get worse over time. he told me to stop eating avocado because, given the trajectory, it had the potential to kill me.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
Just FTR, I am severely allergic to several plant species, mostly pollen. The food allergies related to the pollen allergies are sometimes severe, and sometimes just a mild tingling. Hazelnut and apple, e.g., depend very much on the cultivar (and in case of hazel, I assume on the species - I think a lot of hazel on the market is probably not Corylus avellana). Several cultivars of apple are completely fine, and thankfully the tasty ones on the (Central European) market.

So, if you are in a mood to risk your life, try a different avocado cultivar, maybe?

Oh, and another thing: those allergies developed, and some became milder. 2011 Betula pubesces felt like it was certainly killing me, 2015 I felt nothing at all. Between and after, it has ups and downs.
So, good luck. To paraphrase a famous German: Life without avocado is possible, but senseless. :wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.