Vinepairs' five worst booze ads of all time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/26/vinepairs-five-worst-booze-ads-of-all-time.html

3 Likes

Versus the ad for the Worst booze of all time in my opinion:

2 Likes

So what’s the best booze ad? One of the old “Less Filling, Tastes Great” Miller Lite ads of the '80s?

1 Like

Perhaps any of the Olympia “artesians” ads:

Or Rainier:

4 Likes

Contributed by Ruben Bolling.

8 Likes

I was looking up recipes one time, it was early COVID, and trying to understand the different Italian liquor / herb extract wines and I went down a rabbit hole of old Italian ads for them as aperitivos. So many of them for Punt e Mes, Carpano Antican Formula and so many others. Gorgeous Italian style from the 60s and bold colours.

It was a lovely hour.

5 Likes

The best ad for alcohol is anything that implies that Guinness makes you strong and healthy.

I will fight anyone who dares argue, though only after I’ve had a few Guinness.

17 Likes

XXXX because Queenslanders can’t spell “beer”?

6 Likes
7 Likes

The Tennent’s lager ad that introduced a third (fourth?) national anthem to Scotland:

3 Likes
4 Likes

There’s always the really high quality “let’s turn the negatives of our product into a key selling point” ads from Guinness:

5 Likes

That’s a Jonathan Glazer short! The ad thing is uninteresting. I mean it really is just tacked on “I have this really cool sequence planned that will cost a fortune and I can tangentially retcon it to your campaign but it will look amazing. Thanks!”

3 Likes

Are there any ads, best or worst, aimed at and starring women? Women drink it too, ya know. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

6 Likes

Here you go:

I award this ad from my youth the cheesiest alcohol ad of all time.

2 Likes

comedy central season 2 episode 5 GIF by Workaholics

4 Likes

As I understand it, it’s the Natural Light of sweet vermouths.

3 Likes

it’s a decent stout and for whatever reason slightly less calories than a shit tier lager like bud.

Not a real ad but I absolutely would buy this and I’m not even a fan of pale ales.

4 Likes

When I went searching for beer ads featuring women as something other than props for male gaze, I think few will be surprised that the outcome was disappointing. One category of ad I was not expecting was the “Guinness is good for your pregnancy” category.

I kind of think that might be my mother. I vaguely remember that dress and I absolutely remember that deadpan “you’re why I drink” expression.

11 Likes