Vintage hand-colored photo of a serious man holding a giant fish

Should know better than to try to bite a trout! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m hungry for fish and chips.

foodie gortons GIF by Gorton's Fisherman

5 Likes

may have caught a barracuda that big, but i sure as hell wouldn’t keep it!

4 Likes

That’s a face of someone realizing he now has to clean it. :wink:

But seriously, I’ve never seen a person with a big fish and not have a huge smile.

My dad loves fishing, and even if he has already caught 3000 crappie this year, he’s still excited when he hooks the next one.

And even though it’s not my thing, it is fun when they are biting!

2 Likes

You know that was his Tindr profile.

1 Like

What I find weirdest about this photo isn’t the size of the fish or the expression on his face, it’s that he brought the fish to a studio to have a professional photo taken of him and his fish, in front of a fake backdrop.

It does imply it was made for commercial purposes like the cod liver oil ad @NukeML posted.

1 Like

perhaps a photo collage?

3 Likes

funny-pictures-fishing-6327108

1 Like

ah! the ever elusive Felt Fin Tuna! and a trophy at that! nice catch, they can be a struggle to boat, especially if left in the water too long.

6 Likes

What I can’t find mention of is: do we know where the photo was taken? When? Hva het hun? What was his name?

Do we, in fact, know anything about the serious man with the serious fish?

The best info I’ve found so far was from the Norske Folkemuseum, with a differently tinted version, and the text

1. En Fiskedrager fra Bergen.
    Mannsdrakt, fiskerdrakt, Bergen. Portrett av fiskedrager, mann som bærer stor laks i tau over ryggen. Fotografert i atelier med malt bakgrunn, byprospekt av Bergen. Mønstret gulvteppe. Håndkolorert.
    Fra serien “Norske Nationaldragter” (nr.101), fotografert av fotograf Marcus Selmer (1819-1900), Bergen.
  1. An angler from Bergen.
    Man’s costume, fisherman’s costume, Bergen. Portrait of an angler, man carrying a large salmon on a rope over his back. Photographed in a studio with a painted background, a city view of Bergen. Patterned carpet. Hand coloured. From the series “Norwegian National costumes” (no. 101), photographed by the photographer Marcus Selmer (1819–1900), Bergen.

Despite that it’s well and truly in the Public Domain, Alamy are selling it. And despite that their version still has the more complete page including the label “101. Fiskedrager fra Bergen” (and all the other images in the series also clearly have labels in Norwegian), they’re claiming that it’s “Croatian native vintage photographs”. Because they don’t give a fuck, they just want you to think you have to give them the money.

Also

7 Likes

Isnt it amazing / awesome how much we suddenly care about a random Norwegian fisherman from the 1850’s ?

7 Likes

Also, ever so slightly, a bit worrying.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.