Vintage motion capture session from the making of Mortal Kombat (1992)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/26/vintage-motion-capture-session.html

2 Likes

That’s not motion capture. That’s just reference for rotoscoping. I think I may have directed the first actual motion capture for Mortal Kombat. We did it at Acclaim on Long Island in 1995.

15 Likes

Thanks so much! Corrected!

4 Likes

If you’d like to see it, it’s not in the game, nor is it in the feature film (except for a tiny snippet of a very small animated “Goro” in the distance.) It’s in a direct to video animation called “Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins”

There are three mocap sequences spred throughout the otherwise 2D animated film. It’s extrremely crude by today’s standards. And all the shaking the the motion was in the daya delivered to us by the mocap studio. It was their first job in that studio and the signal was full of noise.

One interesting thing, I think: the white balls used to capture limb positions were not that soft, yet. And it wasn’t easy taking a fall onto semi-hard marbles.

4 Likes

Cooooool. :slight_smile:

It really is amazing how far this stuff has come in 20ish years. Isn’t it cray cray, living in The Future?

1 Like

I appreciate the change in headline, but unless the animators were extremely fast, I wouldn’t call it a “rotoscoping session” either.

I would be remiss with out mentioning these two gems from the Soundtrack

KLASSIC KMFDM (IIRC Giorgio Moroder Metropolis Mix)

The Immortals which was Praga Khan and Oliver Adams from Lords of Acid.
The single of theirs had 4 or 5 versions of two songs and were great early 90s techno.

1 Like

I still have that soundtrack album.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.