Vintage snapshots of weird Halloween costumes

My parents had a friend that got a fridge, washer and dryer at the same time in the mid 70’s, the summer before I turned 5. It was magnificent.

7 Likes

Our family had a school uniform business so we always had tons of large boxes around - 5 huge ones of which which became the basement headquarters for me and my friends‘ Spy and Detective agency. .

Working bits and pieces of summers there (from around age 8 til 18), the smell from a stack of cardboard boxes still brings me right back to North Jersey. As does the smell of the kraft paper packing tape adhesive that you pulled down a slot-machine-type handle to wet and cut-to-length in one motion.

Like this but ours were older and redder and pig iron-ier

Luckily all those nasty paper cuts laying down the tape immediately glued themselves shut.

5 Likes

Not magnificent. Super ouchy!

3 Likes

I love that Godspeed! You Black Emperor record. :grinning:

1 Like

One classic Far Side strip has two scientists bickering over who gets to take home to their kids the box their new Polaris Missile came in.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Boxes are endlessly amazing and useful for so many things. It’s no wonder cats love them, they understand that they are portals to infinite realities.

My box memory: my parents got a new refrigerator when I was about five. My two brothers and I turned that box into the most amazing tank. We got yelled at for rolling over the wild strawberries in the back yard. Ah, boxes…

4 Likes

If they were just a little more forward-thinking, they would’ve asked a third friend to go as DJ Spinderella.

2 Likes

In need of a unicorn chaser?

2 Likes

An honest mistake; you should have sold the costume better by tearing someone apart.

“Me no Leica”

4 Likes

Hard to believe that show lasted less than a year.

2 Likes

Boxes are wonderful for creative play. I’ve found them even more fun with these - http://make.do/

1 Like

I found this in the old photo album.
My parents at a Halloween party in the late 50s.
My mother is the “medieval lady” second from left, my dad is next to her.
Guess which one was the “funny uncle”?

1 Like

Was the funny uncle the one at full left? :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.