Violence breaks out at symphony over concert-goer's loud snack bag

People with moose stashes.

3 Likes

(Some of) Their B-sides really rocked!

This was the B-side to Ballroom Blitz, IIRC

1 Like

It’s kind of the premise for the original. IIRC David Tudor performed the premiere in a concert hall open at the back to a forest so it was intended to have nature noises in it.

Honestly though I was thinking of Spike Jones (of his City Slickers fame) telling the story of getting the idea to replace certain notes on instruments with bangs, squeaks, fart noises and great voice artists doing mad noises by seeing Stravinsky conducting in SF and every time he reached up for a high note his new shoes squeaked. I mean it’s not true of course, people were doing that in theatre and vaudeville and movie accompaniment for years. But it’s what I was thinking of.

And how Mahler would be improved by Liberal application of farts, belches, blubbering lips, honks, whistles, and crashes.

5 Likes

How many of you endured the annoying spectacle of the film called “A Silent Place”?

The whole premise revolves around the characters remaining perfectly quiet and still, lest they get immediately killed and eaten by aliens lurking in the woods.

First 5 minutes everyone in the auditorium implicitly agreed to just hold their popcorn and candy boxes until the waterfall scene.

2 Likes

“At one point, as the tension seemed to ease, the woman’s companion walked toward the younger man as if to converse with him, but then punched him in the stomach.”

Wow! This woman ain’t taking no prisoners. Imagine if you got her really pissed.

Chaos

5 Likes

I loved the Sweet back in the day. That top pic looks exactly like the inspiration for Spinal Tap.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Apparently opera-going in Europe means having to run the gauntlet of the crowds’ knowledgeable sensibilities, and singers are sometimes booed or whistled at:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6612898

The knowledge of this music combined with personal partisanship reminds me a bit of a special with Pavarotti years ago where he was walking and reminiscing in his old hometown and spoke to someone who said he had heard Pavarotti’s father sing, and then said he preferred the father’s singing to the son’s. Way harsh…

2 Likes

So that’s what Brenda Blethyn did with her youth. Huh.

2 Likes

My older brother had the single and I was confused because I didn’t recognize that song… turns out there were different B-sides, this was ours:

1 Like

We’re regulars at the local symphony, but it has become increasingly hard to go because of the ambient distractions, ranging from cell phones (mainly younger people) to conversations (mainly older people) to coughing (mainly me, I’m allergic to something in our concert hall) and, a first for me last year, people who think it is OK to sing along with the Beethoven.

3 Likes

Add this to your list of lists. Concert Riots!!

The Rites of Spring “riot” is my personal favorite.

2 Likes

How would you feel if someone made some rude bodily noise in the middle of your piece, 4’33"?

I would simply listen.

And what if this event impinged on some of your other senses?

And then there’s Andrea Bocelli. I recall reading of one concert where ardent fans in the audience (first time for them at one of his concerts) were shocked at how weak his voice actually was (apparently he needs amplification) and, in their shocked state, split off into ad hoc support groups during the concert, consoling each other.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.