Virginia will eliminate state holiday honoring confederate generals and make Election Day a holiday instead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/07/virginia-will-eliminate-state.html

14 Likes

In related news, VA passes an Anti-LGBT Discrimination Law

36 Likes

Also…

22 Likes

Does Virginia have legal weed, too?

[internets]

Nope, but maybe this year. Not quite Canada yet, but a work in progress!

12 Likes

Dear god- a sane decision to undo a racist bullshit parade day AND make election day a holiday in its place?

Better than any drug I’ve ever found, its called Justice

28 Likes

Dare I give Virginia a thumbs up? Did I slip into the Upside Down and not realize it?

I feel like Virginia is laying some sort of trap for progressives.

10 Likes

I can breathe a sigh of relief some effort at cutting the iron pipeline is being done.

5 Likes

Does he even know anything about the real Robert E. Lee?

“I think it wiser,” the retired military leader wrote about a proposed Gettysburg memorial in 1869, “…not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered.”

33 Likes

In Virginia of all places, where their history is sacred and inerrant. As a school kid there, I swear VA history was all we learned. (What, there are other states??) Of course that was soon after the War of Northern Agression Civil War. cough hack wheeze

6 Likes

I think they took down the ever present gun show billboards on I95 several years ago. That’s something right? /s

4 Likes

“Great men, and we’re all getting washed away.”

Great menwe’re

That’s… telling.

22 Likes

Virginia hunting seasons:

Generally, archery season runs from October 5 through November 15, then again from December 1, 2 or 15 through January 4. Muzzleloader season is November 2 to 15 and December 14 to January 4 for most hunters.

This might just work out for the Grey Coats after all. Given a day off, most of these types WILL go hunting and not vote.

8 Likes

I wish whatever’s doing the washing would scrub just a little harder…

8 Likes

Kudos to VA; and I’m happy to hear some positive news for a change.

17 Likes

Virginia elected a Democratic state legislature for the first time in 25 years and they had a lot of pent up legislation ready to go.

15 Likes

Let’s hope this is true of all Democratic legislatures-in-waiting.

Oh, and yay Virginia!

10 Likes

Defenders of the holiday say it honors Virginia history.

I wonder if any of the defenders have pondered whether there is a meaningful difference between “honoring” someone and “remembering” someone. Because you can do the latter without necessarily having to do the former, unless your goal is to honor the cause these jamokes fought for.*

*and it is

@Keith_McClary, I’ll cop to not following your reference to Ghengis Khan.

9 Likes

A day-off repurposing I can get behind!

1 Like

When you include statues, parades, wreath layings, etc. you’re well into “honoring” territory.

“Remembering” might consist of a small plaque saying, for example, “Birthplace of the Traitor Robert E. Lee”.

13 Likes

lets-eliminate-columbus-day-as-a-national-holiday-instead-lets-36788125

21 Likes