Vladimir Putin backs J.K. Rowling in "cancel culture" row

She’s so full of shit, I’m surprised her eyes aren’t brown…

9 Likes

From the Guardian:

‘Putin in his address added that the “last time” such a campaign was waged against “unwanted literature” was when Nazi supporters burned books in the 1930s.’

This from a government that has outlawed anything that might be seen to publicise the existence of gay people.

11 Likes

Her PR team is furiously tweeting an article about Navalny, and support for Ukraine. Nothing addressing Putin’s words of course. The empathy is only for herself.

5 Likes

Honestly, I wasn’t sure if Putin’s support for her was going to suddenly cause her to take a “Putin is good, actually” position. A lot of her fellow travelers in TERFery have made those kinds of leaps (or baby steps, as it were). And the fact that various TERF groups have been literally started by, and are generally supported by, anti-feminist right-wing Christian groups and actual neo-Nazis hasn’t put off the rest of them, so…

11 Likes

Harry Potter Wow GIF by Sky

18 Likes

She’s so incredibly, viciously wrong about trans people that I don’t really give a flying fuck about how fluffy her other opinions might be.

20 Likes

And so often intersected that it’s just a matter of time before more shit will eventually spill out.

10 Likes

I wonder what books the Nazi’s were burning?

The Institute was a non-profit foundation situated in Tiergarten, Berlin. It was headed by Magnus Hirschfeld, who since 1897 had run the Wissenschaftlich-humanitäres Komitee (‘Scientific-Humanitarian Committee’), which campaigned on progressive and rational grounds for LGBT rights and tolerance. The Committee published the long-running journal Jahrbuch für sexuelle Zwischenstufen . Hirschfeld built a unique library on same-sex love and eroticism.[1]

Transgender people were on the staff of the Institute, as well as being among the clients there. Various endocrinologic and surgical services were offered, including the first modern gender affirmation surgeries in the 1930s

The Nazi book burnings in Berlin included the archives of the Institute. After the Nazis gained control of Germany in the 1930s, the institute and its libraries were destroyed as part of a Nazi government censorship program by youth brigades, who burned its books and documents in the street.

13 Likes

amber-ruffin-repercussions-for-actions-outcome

Schitts Creek Girl GIF by CBC

And note she’s not actually rejected the idea of cancel culture… just rejecting Putin…

Bored Meh GIF

And of course, if you start down the road of fascism, it’s going to end up at level 10 eventually…

14 Likes

Nuh uh… you do not get to actively promote far right ideologies which don’t recognise the rights of a whole people to exist and then back out because Putes isn’t your bae. You’re in the game, Galbraith.

5 Likes

The thing is that her tone is sarcastic but she is in favour of critiquing “cancel culture” so she is worried that Putin’s intervention will bring the anti-cancel culture cause into disrepute.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Yeah, fair enough. I’d like to believe there’s hope she’ll change her mind, but maybe that’s better reserved for the crazy transphobic relative at Thanksgiving. When it’s a world-famous author with a huge fanbase and social media platform, it progresses very quickly from “bad take” to “unforgivable”. Rowling could do a complete turnaround right now and spend the rest of her life being outspokenly pro-trans, and it still might not be enough to fix the damage she’s already caused.

4 Likes

I was going to +1 this article for the fantastic photo of pig-eared Putin, but then I realized they were Dobby-the-elf ears. While the Harry Potter callback is kind of cute, elf ears don’t make a lot of sense on him.

But now I think every photo of Vlad (and Donnie) should have pig-ears photoshopped onto their ugly mugs. They get off being the feared villain, but the one thing that these bastards hate is to be mocked.

1 Like

Let’s face it, this is just another of his recidivist jibes. The real issue is that he wants his cancellations centrally planned – preferably in five year batches and applied by a late night knock on the door.

1 Like

5 Likes

Now that’s how you end a fucking war!

5 Likes

All these posts are going away very soon.

12 Likes

Not soon enough but absolutely they are.

15 Likes

She’s not a muggle?

10 Likes