Vocoder for sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/08/vocoder-for-sale.html

6 Likes

I found a much smaller analog harmonizer at a pawn shop years ago and strung this together from a few sound checks (I have no idea how these lyrics got into my head):

Then a friend added percussion:

2 Likes

Yeah, but it was NOT a tutorial, was it, let’s be honest.

I wonder how long I could talk like a Cylon before I got bored with it…

3 Likes

Throw in the washing machine it’s sitting on and you’ve got yourself a deal.

1 Like

The user manual, complete with schematic diagram, is available on the web. It’s soooo analog! I’d love to see the guts.

1 Like

It sounds amazing, however the more instruments and compression are added in the remixes, the less you’d notice the difference to digital vocoders.

It really does sound beautiful. OTOH, I love the dirty, noisy sound of my much-more-modest MXR analog vocoder. Plus, I got it when vocoders were at the peak of un-coolness (late 80s), and it cost me next to nothing. That, and my $50 Moog Prodigy, and I was in broke-ass heaven.

6 Likes

I hope Neil Young will remember…

3 Likes

By your command.

Source: Clip found on YouTube, posted by user Darkmalloc, 2007 10 18; From Battlestar Galactica, c1978, unknown episode.

The first non musical use of a vocoder that came to mind, and one of may favorites.

See also: Reddit, Secret or the cylon voice has been revealed, and the apropos ByYourCommand.net, and for the entire set of research in multiple short videos posted at Synthtopia or direct on YouTube at Synthesizer , Voice actor , Vocoder , Phaser distortion , Recording gear , Demo of the technique .Seriously worth going down this rabbit hole; cool analogue and digital gear, first hand research to an original source, experimentation, and documentation.

Edited for clarity and formatting

2 Likes

A good explanation and demo of the Moog Vocoder (daddy to the Bode):

3 Likes

Vocoder fans are probably familiar, but worth mentioning the excellent book that was reviewed here once upon a time ago. If ever a sonic instrument could boast killing fascists it might be this one.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.