Vogue editor on the grotesque starvation of size-zero models

Do you actually have any evidence of this?

An article from 1992 describes how models were already much thinner than the general population at this point in time: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1992-04-29/features/9202070891_1_anorexia-nervosa-female-population-bulimia [disclaimer: I do not have the book that the article took these numbers from, but this seems to be the earliest mention of this statistic.]

A generation ago, fashion models weighed 8 percent less than the average woman. Today, fashion models weigh 23 percent less. The average model, dancer or actress is thinner than 95 percent of the female population.

Are you really going to say that an obesity rate of less than 14% caused this?

I can also find lots of articles discussing how fashion magazines negatively affect body image.

Here: The influence of fashion magazines on the body image satisfaction of college women: an exploratory analysis - PubMed

Women who viewed fashion magazines preferred to weigh less, were less satisfied with their bodies, were more frustrated about their weight, were more preoccupied with the desire to be thin, and were more afraid of getting fat than were their peers who viewed news magazines.

Here: Eating Disorder Statistics | ANAD - National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders

47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures.

69% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported that magazine pictures influenced their idea of a perfect body shape.

and so on …

Out of curiosity, how do you explain the fact that fashion models tend to be much taller than the average American woman?

2 Likes

Sure, why not? After all, that 14% would have weighed considerably more than 23% more than some ideal healthy weight for their height. And there would be plenty more people who were merely overweight.

Fashion magazines remind people of their existing cultural values. When women view glamorous images of overweight people, does their self-image correspondingly improve?

Like thinness, height is associated with high social status. Then again, perhaps height better shows off thinness, or it’s easier to find tall models that look thin than short models that look thin. Bear in mind it’s quite easy to make short people look taller simply by lowering the camera.

Since I seem to have picked up the pro-personal-appearance flag in this thread, here are a few blogs that show what fashion is supposed to be about, focussed particularly on men:

The Sartorialist - shots of men and women in the street, from many parts of the world

He Spoke Style

Rubinacci Club - an Italian tailor

Styleopedia

False dichotomy much?

Of course there’s a bad overwhelming cultural focus on a narrowly-defined standard of physical appearance, but that doesn’t mean the only viable alternative is to walk around looking like Comic Book Guy. All plumber’s crack stickin outta your sweatpants, fungus-ridden toenails on display in your cranchety flip-flops.

1 Like

Yes. Is this a trick question? Did you actually not know that? Every time a society mag puts someone of normal or above-average weight on the cover, there’s a flood of positive attention from women talking about how much it improved their self-confidence.

3 Likes

Of course it’s a false dichotomy. I was responding to someone asserting that we had to choose between Anna Wintour and Comic Book Guy.

1 Like

I appreciate that you’re being civil about this, and despite my snark earlier I do value some attention to personal appearance. The problem isn’t that you’re waving the pro-personal appearance flag, it’s that your waving the “fatties are to blame for America’s disgusting fashion industry” flag, and you should really know better.

1 Like

Obesity, not obese people. It’s kind of the, um, elephant in the room whenever people point out problems with the cultural obsession with thinness.

I don’t buy that. All we need do is examine the definition and various connotations of the word “unfashionable” to discern the prescriptive nature of fashion. The “Dos and Don’ts” feature at the back of Glamour magazine has been telling readers for years what works and what, in their eyes, fails miserably at being au courant. If someone has the confidence, self-awareness, and good luck (collectively recognized as “taste”) to express themselves with a look that meets with admiration and approval from the arbiters of style, then that someone hasn’t just spoken a language successfully; they’ve passed the test and joined the tastemakers and trendsetters, and the wannabes at a slight remove from the cutting edge might try to see which elements of this new look they might incorporate into their own expression of style, while maybe taking care not to be perceived as ripping off wholesale someone else’s look.

This is a very different realm from that occupied by people who like to buy well-made and flattering clothes that make them happy and that look better than the clothes they’d wear if physical comfort were the only attribute they appreciated in apparel. Some things (the little black dress, the tuxedo, etc.) have relatively timeless style, and don’t tend to fall out of fashion with the passage of the season. But when we speak of fashion as the industry that employs size-zero models, we are speaking of, in essence, “a list of approved looks.”[quote=“AshleyYakeley, post:53, topic:6800”]
Trying to look better is movement upwards.
[/quote]

I wasn’t talking about “trying to look better.” I said “trying to look fashionable.” Self-improvement, even just for one’s outward appearance, is laudable. But trying to look fashionable is something else entirely. Fashion isn’t interested in what’s actually best for one. The pursuit of a fashionably high heel could cause lasting damage. The intersection of fashionable clothes with weather-appropriate attire can often be a narrow slice indeed. And the desire to obtain a body shape remotely close to the waifs in the pages of fashion magazines… well, other people have gone on at length about the damage that causes.[quote=“AshleyYakeley, post:53, topic:6800”]
Please go watch Paris is Burning if you believe looking fabulous cannot lift even the very unprivileged out of some portion of their misery.
[/quote]

Well, you got me there. We all must take our uplift where we can find it. And yet even though the world of high fashion is as foreign to me as the world of drag (that is, when I’m there at all it’s as a guest and not an insider), I cannot help but feel that these are very different experiences. Experimenting with one’s look as a form of self-reinvention strikes me as a less problematic situation than endlessly chasing a chimeric ideal of what’s fashionable. You seem to bear the attitude that fashion is little more than breezily confident self-expression, the nearly effortless manifestation of cool exhibited by those who have somehow always found themselves lusted after by some people and admired and/or envied by others. I don’t know you and as far as I know have never met you; I have no idea what you look like. I’m not inclined to assume that you’re uncommonly and effortlessly beautiful and have gained much in life as a result of your looks. That would be unfair, totally unsupportable, sixteen flavors of rude, and not the way I run my railroad in any case. But some of the things you’ve said seem to put an unusual moral weight on the value of physical beauty. [quote=“AshleyYakeley, post:32, topic:6800”]
The world should not be about equality. It should be about achievement, excellence, improvement, raising up everyone or anyone or at least someone. It should be about strength, intelligence, health, ability, beauty, power and all those other awesome D&D stats, as well as much now derided under the boo-word “privilege”.
[/quote]

Beauty is such an odd fit with that list. The other attributes relate directly to what a person is capable of achieving, what they can physically do, the intellectual feats they can accomplish, the influence they can bring to bear in the service of their pet causes, even the length of time they can live to perform these functions. Beauty relates mostly to who wants to mate with you. As long as I’m gonna speak like someone who rolled pretty low when it came to my Beauty, I feel like someone who puts that much value in it sounds too much like someone who has over-relied upon it. [quote=“AshleyYakeley, post:32, topic:6800”]
You are right to point out that there is something unhealthy in the standards of thinness (mirroring the unhealthyness of so much obesity), but the solution to that is to promote one’s own ideals, not to abandon standards entirely just to satisfy the bitter ressentiment of the lazy and ugly.
[/quote]

You make no friends with that last clause. You distance yourself from a group of people that you blithely label “the lazy and ugly,” obviously feeling that these are traits too abhorrent to have anything to do with yourself. The fact that you seem to feel that those people who object most strongly to the fashion world’s longstanding embrace of unreasonably and unhealthily scrawny body types are just those fatasses who can’t be bothered to hit the gym, or that those people who feel the fashion industry promotes unhealthily unattainable standards of wholly subjective beauty are simply too hopelessly ugly to ever matter… good God, what a hideously privileged and self-satisfied attitude. And the fact that you group these people together as bitter and jealous and filled with a strangely French variety of resentment toward… well, toward people like you, I assume, that just takes the cake.

Here’s what this particular lazy and ugly person has to say to you: I don’t wanna be you. I’ve gotten a lot of great stuff in my life. I’ve had great relationships and a rewarding career. I have a fairly vast library of books, a charming 104-year-old house, a genuinely superior (to me and everyone else) wife, a couple of promising kids, four cars, a hot tub, and a job at a storied movie studio. I have friends I’d trust to move dead bodies. I have a large and loving extended family and in-laws to die for. I lost my religion at 17 and have been delighted with my place in the universe ever since. I got a 1500 on my SAT and I’m the luckiest son of a bitch I know. Every good thing I’ve ever gotten has been the result of some combination of a halfway-decent brain, some (occasionally) hard work, and a support system of fantastic people. I neither need nor want anything else from my life, save the creative fulfillment that an extra dollop of self-discipline might afford if applied to my writing. But I do not object to the destructive and arbitrary standards of beauty set by the fashion industry simply because I do not meet them. I object to them because they are wrong, and because they hurt lots of people who maybe aren’t as fortunate and privileged as I am. I don’t mean that I have high-rolling stats on every other attribute to fall back on. I mean that I, at least, am conscious of the fact that I can get by more than just fine without relying on my looks, and a lot of people out there fear that a life outside the Beautiful Crowd is simply not worth living. Those sad, deluded souls.

“The lazy and ugly.” Yeah, right. Those are the only ones who think your attitude is abominable.

6 Likes

No, it isn’t. The opposite of obesity is NOT starving yourself into a medically-dangerous situation.

The fashion industry isn’t teaching women and girls to eat healthily and exercise appropriately, it’s teaching them they will never be good enough unless they endanger themselves (and probably not even then). The body being heralded has no feminine curves and looks like a 10-11 year old child’s. A STARVING 10-11 year old child, or one who has had a ridiculous growth spurt so their weight hasn’t caught up with their height. In no other circumstance would the fashion industry’s height/weight ratio be considered acceptable.

The fact that you’re choosing this aspect of the fashion industry to defend is quite telling.

It’s not the opposite of it, it’s a pathological fetishised reaction to it, likely informed by many other factors. The prevalence of obesity, together with its correlation with low economic status, generates a kind of persistent subconcious disgust of body fat that some people try to obsessively disassociate themselves from. It’s all kinds of fucked up, but I’m not interested in assigning moral blame, only discovering causes.

You are right to point out that there is something unhealthy in the
standards of thinness (mirroring the unhealthyness of so much
obesity), but the solution to that is to promote one’s own ideals, not
to abandon standards entirely just to satisfy the bitter ressentiment
of the lazy and ugly.

Not a SINGLE person suggested that all standards should be abandoned. Perhaps you are reading this between the lines simply because you appear have some measure of contempt for ‘fat people’ (sorry; obesity) and a great concern that such people may not be appropriately called out, shamed and corrected. That’s all you keep repeating; fat people, fat people, obesity, fat people…

Current standards, by the way, do not only call for abject thinness. It goes FAR beyond fat v.s. thin. It also dictates the acceptable shapes and sizes of noses, lips, chins, breasts, eyes, limbs; the preferred flesh tones, exactly how many pores, moles, freckles, wrinkles and hair one is allowed to display in order to be deemed properly groomed and ‘luminous’. If the lazy, loser fatties were the guilty party, then there wouldn’t be an open war on every single bit of cartilage, bone and flesh on even perfectly svelte, young and/or otherwise healthy women. There is a rainbow of ways to hate one’s body and every single one of them is being openly and forcefully exploited.

And the main reason is for profit.

But I’m done here, lest I hear about some more um, lazy, ugly elephants in the room…

3 Likes

Also lycanthropes.

You have a rather narrow straw-man notion of “fashion”. Fashion isn’t the cool person’s club that you resent for not letting you in. Anyone can participate in it, and in fact almost everyone does, though too often carelessly and badly. Every time you look in the mirror and pick one shirt over another because it looks better, you are participating in fashion. And when you go out where others can see you, you are contributing to it. No doubt you think such decisions have nothing to do with what’s fashionable or what’s on the catwalk at Pitti Uomo this year, it’s merely your own personal preference. But your preferences have been informed by your culture, by decades of what people wear, and what other people think looks good. That is fashion. One cannot “look better” except within the context of fashion. Culture is infinitely flexible, infinitely malleable even, but ultimately inescapable.

Have a look at The Sartorialist, which shows both fashion insiders and random interestingly-dressed people in the street. None of these people are trying to “pass a test”, as you say. None of them copied some template. Mostly they’re just going with something that suits them.

Nor can you separate “fashion” from “the fashion industry” so easily, unless you make all your own clothes. You cannot even separate “fashion” from “high fashion”: they all influence each other.

No no, they all do. Beauty can equally bring influence in the service of one’s pet cause, for instance. And it brings pleasure and interest to other people. And all of them can relate to who wants to mate with you. Ultimately strength, intelligence, health, ability, beauty, etc. all bring power, that is, the ability to change the world according to your own values (or simply get what you want), just in different ways.

If you really have rolled pretty low when it came to your Beauty, that’s one particular area where you happen to lack a certain kind of power. That’s unfortunate in its way, maybe, but I’m not accusing you of any moral failing for it.

But there are healthy and unhealthy reactions to any kind of powerlessness, even the big social forms of powerlessness. More generally, you can make an effort to become more powerful, either individually (as the political Right tends to prefer) or collectively (per the Left), it doesn’t matter. For instance, if you’re underpaid, perhaps you can take classes to switch careers. Or perhaps you can organise the labour in your workplace. Either may serve your interests.

The unhealthy reaction is to locate the source of the problem in power, not in powerlessness: to normalise your own powerlessness, and denounce the more powerful as being somehow undeserving (e.g. “unearned privilege”) or, in your case, as some arbitrary gate-keeping elite meany poopyheads who don’t really matter anyway.

I mean, perhaps looking good truly doesn’t matter to you, but your list of other ways in which you are successful does seem a little defensive.

Sadly, even the usually-awesome David Mitchell fails on this.

No, like any form of endeavour and achievement, it requires effort as much as luck. It’s up to you how much of the former you want to put into it, but you will get something out of it if you try.

1 Like

I rather have to, unfortunately, because the rise in obesity is the glaring omission (better?) most every time people examine the cultural obsession with thinness.

Right now, our culture is having a kind of allergic reaction to fat people. It’s having this not because of some nefarious plot by the fashion industry, but, I believe, because of the rise in the overall rate of obesity. Part of this allergy involves reaching for the extreme opposite, and images of thinness become desireable. It’s this that the fashion industry has no choice but to follow if they want folks to buy their clothes and magazines. Any of them would hire fat models in a heartbeat if they were equally appealing to their customers.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d call what I’m feeling skepticism, but I am certainly confused about what’s going on here.

I’ve know more than a couple runway-skinny women in Tokyo, and they don’t generally have troubles keeping upright. You actually see them toting kids around the city reasonably often.

The problem here seems to be people not accepting their limits. There exist women for whom that sort of frame is, if not the most healthy and robust, still reasonable. For some, it seems not to be, or at least their tactics for achieving such proportions seem not to be.

No matter how many surgeries I have and how full of drugs I pump myself, I cannot expect to achieve what pro-athletes do without sacrificing my health. The obsession with wrecking myself to achieve that ideal is my problem more than it is sports spectators’ and sports teams’ problem isn’t it?

Do we expect companies to boycott employees who work too hard and stress too much, thereby damaging their health? Hiring people with a serious caffeine habit = morally suspect?

I fully acknowledge, and agree that being regularly on an IV is a problematic way of life, and if the business literally demanded that, there should be some legal framework put in place.

(I’d go into my bit about “fantasy worlds” again, but I’m still pretty groggy this morning.)

PS: incidentally, why do critics of the fashion industry struggle to talk about healthy body issues without insulting people? i.e. Chubby people are “real”, skinny women are unreal, “pubescent boys”. It’s like calling tall people “freaks”.

1 Like

@Medievalist said:

Human fat is valuable, especially baby fat.

@CLamb said:

In particular it is especially valuable to babies.

@Boundegar said:

Also Lycanthropes.

@Medievalist says:

Also witches. For flying potions.

1 Like

“I need no broomstick to fly.”

1 Like

OK, that was pretty creepy. Presumably the warlock guy has some Datura in his pocketses. Should I watch the whole movie?

Broomsticks are only for female witches, to apply flying potions to certain mucous membranes that males haven’t got.

I’d recommend it if you like cheesy action-horror films in general, and have some tolerance for gore and general creepiness. It’s not exactly brilliant, but it’s a fun popcorn movie.