Volkswagen announces €25,000 electric car

Originally published at: Volkswagen announces €25,000 electric car | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Electra glide in blue

3 Likes

VW has always led the way in affordable transportation for the masses. From the original beetle to the Golf to the Polo to the Lupo 3L, the (less successful) first commercially available 3l/100km car. So I am excited for this. It should have a big effect on the electrification of car traffic, at least in central Europe.

6 Likes

Definitely what the market needs, an affordable, hopefully reliable, electric vehicle. You want to convert the masses? Make it something they can afford.

11 Likes

If it comes in on target it’s a few thousand less than the Leaf which is, by a long distance, the best selling electric car in Ireland.

The impact of Tesla has been that electric cars were often positioned as luxury and performance cars by other entrants into the market. This is just a rebalancing of the market for what people actually want from an electric car but which most manufacturers have been ignoring because of the Tesla hype.

As usual fuck Apartheid Edison.

20 Likes

They say it’s an affordable EV.

3 Likes

The Chevy Bolt is about the same size, has about the same range, costs about the same and is already here now. More choices are a good thing, but if this is the kind of car you’re waiting for you don’t have to wait for it.

Edit: I just realized the Bolt qualifies for the federal tax credit again (it didn’t for a little while) so it’s an even better deal. It starts at $20K after the $7.5K credit, and many states have tax credits as well.

12 Likes

The Muppets No GIF by ABC Network

I still say the future is pretty disappointing…

16 Likes

The VW id.2all will enter production in 2025.

I hope they give it a proper fucking name before then.

5 Likes

Yep, give it a few years and the headline will be “Inspection of uncannily cheap VW EVs reveal secret diesel engines within”

19 Likes

Well you can’t really fake the invoice.

On the other hand, you can’t really print for vomit.

3 Likes

I still say overdependence on touchscreens was one of the biggest design flaws in the Enterprise-D.

touchscreen

13 Likes

And just so everyone is clear, there are no plans to bring this VW to the US, so if you’re an American and this is the car you were waiting for, be ready for disappointment.

8 Likes

No, but aftersales costs and longevity can take the edge off affordability.

2 Likes

Star Trek Reaction GIF by reactionseditor
TOS engineers knew how to work things.

7 Likes

“Hope you like touchscreens!“

I hope someone develops a touchscreen to analog adapter kit.

10 Likes

The thing is, the Chevy Bolt (or the Opel Ampera-e as it’s known in this new VW’s market), is a compact SUV. It’s not a hatchback like the id.2all. They appeal to different demographics.

Also, it was discontinued in Europe in 2018.

4 Likes

1 Like

I’ve never heard anyone describe the Bolt EV (as opposed to the Bolt EUV) as a SUV. What about it says SUV rather than hatchback to you? It’s more or less the same size and shape as a Honda Fit (just 1" longer, 3" taller) and doesn’t pretend to have any offroad capabilities.

I probably like the styling of the VW a bit more but that doesn’t mean that this thing isn’t a hatchback.

5 Likes

The Bolt EUV is an SUV unambiguously, the Bolt EV is listed by the EPA as a small station wagon and by Chevy as an SUV.

2 Likes