VR loses its V; a new visor will kill you

That is fantastic. I had to do a reverse image search to find it was from community though. But that entire sequence is gold.

Defense contractor, Palmer Luckey:

2 Likes

2 Likes

You owe fuzzyfungus a coke now.

2 Likes

That’s a very narrow, judgemental, and in my opinion untrue way of seeing it. In social VR (Overte, and some groups in Neos VR and VRchat) communities I’m part of there are people of all genders, and we are having fun there being able to be ourself without judgment. Most of us are not rich at all. Please don’t label us as “rich white men”. There’s no need to shit on someone’s passion like this just because some rich people are pushing dystopian ideas tangentially related to it.
I’m personally mostly interested in open source and non-profit social VR.
(I’m neither rich nor man for the record)

4 Likes

JFC… black mirror and every other dystopian sci-fi were not meant to be blue prints.

2 Likes

“You’ve gotta ask yourself a question. ‘Do I feel Luckey?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

2 Likes

You go first. I’ll be right behind you.

Speaking of Black Mirror, check out this video of Zuckerberg’s metaverse:

It feels like something straight out of Black Mirror episode, especially the part about having to buy applause, and the general unsettling feeling caused by the art style.

2 Likes

… the way Zuck’s ear looks like a funnel makes me want to pour something into it :pouring_liquid:

2 Likes

“Grima” would be a pretty good name for a company

2 Likes

a review, of sorts, in which Marques mentions that Meta’s VR headset can read some kinds of facial expressions. Neat.

so I guess that the uncanny valley of Polar Express awaits.

2 Likes

I met some people in Neos VR who have high end VR headsets (PCVR, not standalone) with face and eye tracking. It looks magical combined with the custom fantasy avatars they have. On the other hand Quest Pro is sadly locked down so that all the cool features cannot be used in PCVR mode, because Meta wants to keep people in their walled garden. With Meta Horizons it will just be more uncanny valley.

3 Likes

It’s unfortunate, too, since there are things VR (or even more so, AR) could be really useful for. I would love a system that let me have unlimited numbers of high-res displays that take up as much of my visual field as I want and can be manipulated with gestures in the air, without any hardware besides what I wear on my head. That could be great for so many things.

That said: we are finally starting to see some AR adoption in manufacturing and construction. Useful for avoiding and spotting errors, and providing assistance to workers who aren;t sure what to do in a given situation. I’m sure it’ll be used in horrible ways too, though.

3 Likes

I think Simula VR is trying to achieve something like this and it looks like it will be entirely open source:
https://simulavr.com/

Another really cool use that I didn’t see mentioned in this thread is that good social VR with custom avatars (so not Meta crap) helps a lot for some people with gender dysphoria. Being able to hang out with friends while looking exactly how you’d like to look is an amazing feeling for me. I know many other non binary and transgender people who feel like me.

4 Likes

I’m wearing one now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.