Vulnerabilities

1 Like

Well, thanks to the Streisand effect I really want one of these now.

Iā€™ve been doing BLE hacking for a few years now (strictly for legit purposes) but it involves a rather cumbersome solution of using a laptop with a Bluetooth sniffer board and WireShark to decode the packets. Itā€™s not super reliable, and it often takes a lot of effort to get the data I want. If this device makes this process simpler that could be a real time saver for me.

Iā€™ve also wanted something I could use to test if RFID shielding thatā€™s on a lot of wallets and things these days is actually effective or not. This seems like it could fit the bill.

If Amazon is banning it then thatā€™s unfortunate since you canā€™t beat their shipping, but I guess they just wonā€™t be able to get my money.

1 Like

Must just be USian Amazon:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/24/business/best-buy-shoplifting-prevention/index.html

3 Likes

Other CEOs reading this:

4 Likes

And Best Buy is just doing what Iā€™ve been recommending for years. :man_shrugging:

I need a bonus.

4 Likes

As usual, companies using 2FA to paper-over their security lapses. For the user, it throws all their personal security through a single point of failure, since they allow whoever has the phone number to override any password protection.

2 Likes

When you actually do need some assistance in a big store - donā€™t look confused, wandering around wide-eyed in search of an employee. Try to look determined, but a bit shifty. Like you may or may not be about to nick something. A friendly ā€œCan I help you?ā€ person (underpaid, overworked, ritually abused per company policy) in a polyester outfit with logos on it will materialize out of thin air richt next to you within seconds.

Disclaimer: the overall quality of your shopping experience may be subject to location (of the store) and outward appearance (of you).

4 Likes

I kind of despair at the thought of training retail end users on FIDO2 keys, but for developers it ought to be straightforward.

Sending an SMS is just plain lazy.

It also assumes continued social use of phones as phones, the kind with an actual phone number. If the call logs on my kidsā€™ phone bills are anything to go by (never mind it going straight to voice mail when I call), they almost never actually use the ā€œtelephoneā€.

Or my favourite: turn to your wife and say, just loudly enough, ā€œI thought we agreed on $15,000 as the budget for this.ā€ (Thatā€™s assuming Best Buy; adjust accordingly for the Lexus dealer.)

1 Like

2FA is hardly limited to SMS, in fact that was the first thing I banned as an admin for our IDP, TOTP, FIDO, or push notification.

2 Likes

Maybe, but the 2FA systems Iā€™ve encountered all grab for the phone.

Canada Revenue Agency does have the option of making computer voice calls rather than SMS, which I use because their SMS usually hits the five minute time-out before it gets to my phone.

My phone hasnā€™t had an update in five years, and my provider is a low-end company thatā€™s changed ownership three times since I switched to them. Low trust.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been able to do TOTP with HMRC, and Iā€™m beginning to overdose on acronyms.

Yeah, I do think the big issue is most people donā€™t have phones which could provide a lot of those optional factors, both google authenticator and ms authenticator offer totp, and can offer MFA for unlocking access to the codes. Shouldnā€™t need loads of cpu, one hopes,

5 Likes

This bit was a new one on me:

He said the cunning thieves even fooled the GPS tracker, which says the car is still in the drive.

7 Likes

So, a faulty Faraday pouch, possibly? Or a fraudulent one?

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

Fraudulent, because I doubt that they have a connection to electrical ground. Itā€™s just flapping in the radio breeze.

It will attenuate the signal somewhat, but then re-radiate it inside.

1 Like
1 Like