Vulnerabilities

1 Like

Indeed there isn’t but you can’t expect there to be anything too sophisticated. That would cost too much money for the vehicle manufacturer who’s trying to pinch every penny they can since at scale that adds up really quickly. Even with encryption, service centers still need the ability to diagnose vehicles. If there’s encryption, a master key can’t be too hard to get.

1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes

So
 rip out the hardware and start again, right?

via Brian Krebs.

3 Likes
4 Likes

So since it’s super Tuesday, my cellphone is blowing up by unsolicited texts, mostly from conservatives. (I suspect someone signed my phone number up maliciously, but it’s possible that someone miskeyed it.) It’s especially bad today but it’s been a problem for awhile.

For some time, I followed the instructions and replied STOP, but I would rarely get a response and the number of texts didn’t seem to abate.

Then, I just blocked the the number, but that doesn’t seem to have made much difference, and since I know that they can spoof any number that they like, this doesn’t seem to be effective.

Lately, I reply “go fuck yourself,” before I block the number, and that is satisfying to a certain extent, but I suspect that I am letting them know that they have a valid number.

I’ve set up my phone alerts so that I only get an alert when someone on my contact list sends me anything, but I am tired of the spam.

Despite the hassles related, I’m considering ditching the phone number and getting a new one.

How do you deal with unsolicited texts?

6 Likes

I think my next step is sending goatse to the causes that ignore stop.

I always instantly reply with stop and block.

3 Likes

I’ve been at the point, lately, of cancelling my cell phone service entirely. My provider catches most of the spam texts and the semi-automatic Google screening thing discourages most of the spam calls.

2 Likes

Yep. Someone mixed up my phone number with my husband’s (we’re one digit apart) and I’m forever getting texts from candidates that are addressed to him. It’s been going on for at least eight years.

I used to reply that they have the wrong number. The volunteer would apologize and then it would happen again in the next election. My guess is that the Democratic Party peeps did this and it’s on a master list that they continue to pass along.

1 Like

over the last 30 years phone services have gotten better and better until today when they’re so good people don’t talk on the phone at all :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I reply with FĂŒr die Anweisungen in Deutsch oder einer anderen Sprache zu hören, drĂŒcken Sie bitte jetzt 99

3 Likes

I routinely get political texts for my wife, and our numbers aren’t even close. I think there’s something algorithmic going on, because we usually use her number for loyalty cards and such, not mine.

2 Likes

I look at how little the 5 phone lines I pay for get used and wonder. The kids are always chatting on Discord, almost never on an actual phone line. I don’t think their grandparents even know the numbers.

An early complaint about PGP e-mail was “you have to give someone an envelope to send you e-mail”. :thinking: Sender-specific, one-time or multi-use keys, eh? I’m starting to like the sound of that, although you would have to build some code around it to make it usable. (Key management is a PITA on the best of days.)

is this all just some kind of natural evolution of human communication?

or did de-regulation in the ’90s unleash something so shitty that no one can stand to use it anymore?

2 Likes

“In recent weeks, we have seen evidence that Midnight Blizzard is using information initially exfiltrated from our corporate email systems to gain, or attempt to gain, unauthorized access,” Friday’s update said. “This has included access to some of the company’s source code repositories and internal systems. To date we have found no evidence that Microsoft-hosted customer-facing systems have been compromised.

So with the source code in motivated hands I suppose Windows users can expect more events like the the zero-day they patched in February that the :north_korea: hackers had been exploiting for 6 months. That’s if they’re lucky. If they’re unlucky, there were some signing keys in that haul.

If you want to stay safe in a war, stay away from the big targets.

1 Like
1 Like

Additional info, links, better headline:

3 Likes

Letterboxd issues urgent warning to users and says ‘check accounts’ now