Wake up and smell the autocracy — Trump is serious about dismantling American democracy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/18/wake-up-and-smell-the-autocracy-trump-is-serious-about-dismantling-american-democracy.html

8 Likes
6 Likes

Contributed by Ellsworth Toohey…

12 Likes

It’s a good list, but any American who doesn’t know this yet has been living in a deep cave for the last eight years.

20 Likes

Wake up

Never have been.

16 Likes

An awful lot of Americans do seem to live in a deep cave, though.

12 Likes

Not even close to most of us.

11 Likes

Not exactly your typical Republican platform, is it?

In the past, no. In the future, I worry it might be. Whether or not Trump is still around to lead it, it really feels like the GOP will be running on a platform of ending democracy from now on. All they need is one victory in the presidential race, and even if they don’t get it, every Republican elected to any position will be working solely to obstruct and tear down anything in the way of that goal, making their next attempt easier.

17 Likes

Not if they keep getting voted out of office, they won’t. :woman_shrugging: At some point, they’ll get the message that they’re base is in the minority and they can’t win except in a few districts. We keep pushing back against them. That’s how to win.

Or you give up and let the fascist win. It’s up to you.

16 Likes

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a shitty ass fake gold gaudy craptacular high top sneaker stamping on a human face— forever.

Please vote Blue!

15 Likes

Even the ones walking around in the day have very selective vision.

Breaking news: Homelander isn’t the hero of the series!

8 Likes

Sadly, a lot of them are quite aware of what he is aiming for, and like it. There is a minority (IMHO excessively estimated at around 21%) Thing is, 21% can’t win anything. I have no interest in reaching out to these lost souls. My interest is in making sure everyone eligible can and does cast a vote. They know, as we do, that if that happens, they lose in a landslide. Hence the rejection of democratic (small d) norms, and never-ending efforts to suppress and reject voting. But if it wasn’t important, they wouldn’t work so hard to undermine it. Piss off a fascist and vote

27 Likes

And don’t stop there; civic engagement does not end at the ballot box.

24 Likes

Spot On Doctor Who GIF by BBC America

16 Likes

It’s because they are positive, despite every indication to the contrary, that they are just one step shy of being The Elite, so they are happy to push some hated “other” out of the way with the assumption it moves them into it.

Trump supporters don’t realize that he couldn’t care less about them. They feel he’s absolutely looking out for him, ignoring signs to the contrary. He had people fainting from heat last week and just gestured and laughed while drinking from a water bottle.

9 Likes

He fricken told them he doesn’t care about them!!

Do they listen? Of course not.

17 Likes

“ha ha, listen to him joke. Yes, I would like to buy another 10 Trump 2024 shirts, how did you know?”

9 Likes

They’re termites infesting the foundations of democracy and eating away at it, but you’re right, unlike termites, they may actually give up if they’re unsuccessful long enough. I just wish there weren’t so many people willing to vote for them despite (or because of) their clear promises to burn everything down and build a dictatorship on the ashes. Those people are still a minority, but we’ve already seen that thanks to our broken system, that’s not always enough to guarantee they lose.

More people voted in 2020 than ever before, but it was still only 67% of eligible voters. I really hope that last third finally realizes how important this is and we absolutely bury Trump this time. That might be enough to get the message across.

10 Likes

Me neither, but the reality is that they aren’t remotely the majority… it’s a hardcore minority, for sure, but they are not remotely the majority.

Which is why organizing against them matters.

Me too. It is on us to help make that a reality.

11 Likes

Balance.

11 Likes